Thread: Priming eheim 2217

Default Priming eheim 2217

Hi friends,
    I know this won't be a new question.

I've been running an eheim 2217 for several years & it's been great. I have no issue with priming after water changes when the intake tubing remains full of water, but on the rare occasion I need to empty the intake tube & re-prime I have huge issues. Last night it took me 5 hours! so I'm wondering if anyone can help. I have been running an under gravel filter with it on my paludarium so have rarely needed to do tis, but have just decided to disconnect this so am likely going to need to prime with air in the intake more often now & it's pretty fiddly to access (tubing & filter under the tank is a tight fit) so I need to master it!

Can anyone give me some guidance on priming it when the intake tubing is not full of water?
    Has anyone used a universal installation kit with this filter & would you recommend one?

Many thanks for the feedback!

Siphoning the water through the canister into a bucket on the floor before hooking up the return hose usually works for me.

After cleaning the filter I fill the canister to the brim with water before I push the head onto the canister (keep the outlet tap open so the head goes on). Carry the full (heavy!) canister over to the tank.

I connect the canister inlet pipe and open the inlet taps. Before I hook up the outlet I direct the short length of hose from the filter head into a bucket under the tank. If the hoses are full I keep the power off and it will siphon by itself, but if the hoses have air in them I turn on the power on first, then quickly open the outlet tap shooting air and water into the bucket in a pulse. This will generally suck the water over the side of the tank and re-establish prime - if that fails (too much air in the canister) I'll turn the power off and suck on the filter outlet until it siphons by itself (I'm a grot)... then close the tap and reattach to the tank return.

All much easier with 3 hands...

When I used Eheims I almost always found that the suck-suck-spit method was required !!!!
    Whatever

I agree with BigDaddyAdo. When i had the eheim 2217 the best method was to suck on the tube to get it going when i first set it up and also suck on it after giving it a clean

Surely there is another way? Hopefully someone has another method they can share to help you out Laura.

There was much sucking & spitting going on last night I can assure you BigDaddyAdo!

Thanks Monty - I'd love to find another method, I don't mind sucking on the hose - providing it works. 5 hours of it was about my limit tho! Did you have the canister full or empty of water when you did this?

Thanks for the details Grubs. I haven't tried sucking on the short outlet under the tank (as opposed to in the tank) so hopefully that's where I was going wrong. I have to replace the intake in the tank with a longer tube when I do tomorrows water change (so I can do water changes without getting air in the intake). I really hope that's the solution!

Has anyone tried priming by sucking on the outlet tube with the tubing & canister empty of water as the eheim instructions suggest? It didn't work for me but I was perhaps doing something wrong!

Has anyone tried a universal installation kit?

Try this:

Fill the canister to the brim with water, push the head on (some water may spill out the sides, make sure you have some rags ready on the floor, you wanna minimize the amount of air in the canister as much as you can). Pour water into both inlet and outlet tubes (again this is to attempt to remove more air from the system), then turn it on! This is how I used to start the 2217 when I had one.

I carry the empty filter over to the cabinet, then connect the inlet pipe and open the inlet taps. Then I open the outlet tap, plug a turkey baster into it and suck till water goes over the side of the tank and into the canister. Then I direct the hose from the filter head into a bucket under the tank. Once water starts flowing from the outlet hose into the bucket, I close the tap, reattach it to the tank return, open all taps, and turn the power on.

I use a turkey baster similar to this one

I used a small in tank filter pump (without the clip on media holder) to prime the filters, pump from a bucket (or the tank) through the filter in reverse to fill the inlet tube.
    No mess and they are cheap.

Still use the pump to remove water from the sump when cleaning.

Thanks Lord of destruction, that's exactly what I did but the air in the intake was still enough to stop it priming

Thanks Salt36, I tried pumping water through it in reverse using an external pump I use for refilling after water changes but for some reason I still couldn't clear the intake tubing of air!?

Thanks Neon Tetra, I'll give it another go with the filter empty of water as it was full of water when I had the difficulties the other night but empty is what the directions suggest.

Well it's post water change and I say thanks sooooo much to those who suggested priming via the outlet under the tank. It turns out I had an air leak in an inlet tubing connection so the tubing drained when I turned off the pump to do the water change. I filled the intake by running water backwards through the pump first (using another pump). This filled the tubing with water but the cannister still wouldn't run until I ran the outlet into a bucket below the tank.

I'm very relieved!

Now about the universal installation kit. Has anyone used it on the intake & can you tell me if the connections are air tight?
    My water depth is only 25cm in a 60cm high tank so I have to pump up & over without air getting in any connection points.

Again thanks!
    Last edited by Laura; 12-08-18 at 04:20 PM.