Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting back into planted tanks...

Default Thinking about getting back into planted tanks...

I can still see some familiar names on here which is nice to see.
    I shut down my planted tank and sold up over 2 years ago... but I have recently started thinking about tanks again.

Is ada still the beesknees?
    Are t2 or leds the way to go now?

Thinking of starting small!

Welcome back !!!

Never really been into ADA myself so can't comment however I have using LEDs for many years now and wouldn't ever go back !!!

Define small......
    Whatever

If you go small, look in aquarium design gallery in Perth. They have smaller ADA tanks and stands which kinda are the beesknees.

But there is aquavase and evolution aqua which produce high quality gear.

Next up is fire and Komoda.

For top notch led, Ada solar rgb,twinstar, chihiros rgb in that order.

Other lights include radeon FW, AI prime FW etc.

Fantastic, LEDs would be my preference!
    Im thinking less then 50L...

Thanks Rebel for that. I definitely need to to some reading prior to getting back into the hobby by the looks as there are lots of new brands!

For a 50L, get a chihiro RGB with a hinterfield dimmer.

I'm getting back into it. You should too, I remember your tanks and trials You're always welcome back

Why not join the 2ft club

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymikemike View Post
    I'm getting back into it. You should too, I remember your tanks and trials You're always welcome back
    Hey great to see you back!!

I think you are still the highest ranking IAPLC competitor in Aus!!

I would sooner get a custom tank than pay the brand tax just to have ADA etc. Although, everything they offer is expensive in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennett View Post
    I would sooner get a custom tank than pay the brand tax just to have ADA etc. Although, everything they offer is expensive in any case.
    Hey man, do you know of anyone making custom tanks?

I have never seen a custom tank as good quality as a braceless, minimal silicone tank, polished edge from Fire or Komoda (medium quality glass), let alone ADA which use very high quality glass. I'd love to be corrected though.

Look at the price here.
    https://www.aquariumgallery.com.au/p...00-x-450-x-450

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymikemike View Post
    I remember your tanks. Super epic bookshelf marine and the 4ft freshwater on BESTA stand I think. Looking forward to see what you come up with this time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hey man, do you know of anyone making custom tanks?

I have never seen a custom tank as good quality as a braceless, minimal silicone tank, polished edge from Fire or Komoda (medium quality glass), let alone ADA which use very high quality glass. I'd love to be corrected though.

Look at the price here.
    https://www.aquariumgallery.com.au/p...00-x-450-x-450
    I think what Kennett is saying is that premium brands ADA/Cade have a brand tax - noone would really call Fire or Komoda a "premium brand". ADA do sell very overpriced things - just look at their filters/lights as a benchmark. I have both a "custom tank" (1500x600x600) and manufactured tanks (900x450x450, 600x450x450). Can't say the difference in edge finishing/silicone work is very different in both - and arguably the larger custom tank is harder to get perfect with thicker glass.

I've seen an ADA and Komoda tank side by side (600x450x450). Glass is probably marginally less "green" when looking at it from the side. Doubt it'd make a meaningful difference once it's in use with glass algae, water clarity, etc. For the tank size you're after though (~50L), it probably makes more sense to go with manufactured tanks rather than a custom (price-wise).

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hey great to see you back!!

I think you are still the highest ranking IAPLC competitor in Aus!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
    I remember your tanks. Super epic bookshelf marine and the 4ft freshwater on BESTA stand I think. Looking forward to see what you come up with this time round.

Haha it's good to be back into the hobby again. I got stalled due to building a house but aquariums are always my passion. In the past few years I'e seen some very innovative and talented scapers in Australia. many of them in Perth too! My current project is a 4ft iwagumi. I'll post up a journal soon

This thread seems to have brought a few users back from the grave. So many familar names that were around when I had my 3ft and seemed to disappear not too soon before I did too haha.

Do it Mike! Your tanks were epic. There was another Perth member with amazing tanks too but I cant recall his name. Inspire me to start up another tank haha. My kids just started keeping bettas so I drifted back to the forums lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast