Thread: First few months

Default First few months

I bought a 'new' second hand tank
    Painted an old cupboard white. Started setup in May.

Used Carib Sea Eco Complete - one red and two black

Progress June

Progress July

Today August

I am sure many of you will see plants that came from you. There have been no failures due to anyone's postage method.

Main problem I have is the green spot algae. I have just been cutting affected leaves off. Maybe it will improve over more time.

Anyway a big THANK YOU to all have sent me plants. You were all very generous.

Looking great!

Make sure you increase flow as the jungle grows.

Keen for ongoing updates.

For green spot algae, it may be necessarily to reduce light, increase phosphate, increase CO2 ( IE switch off air bubbler during lights on) and addition of nerite snails.

September

Not balanced yet. Still some GSA but the plants have been really growing. At present I have taken the glass tops off and reduced light to 80% for 7 hours. I have light on at 5% for the rest of day (at 5% when I took the photo above). Liverpool Creek All-in-one ferts (8ml) about every 3 days. I am also using low dosage (3ml) of CAL red (iron) and CAL shine (potassium). 50% water change weekly. CO2 starting before high light, probably at 4 or more bubbles/sec, plants pearl but CO2 indicator stays mainly blue.
    I clean the GSA from the glass with plastic plant labels. Works but can't use it on anubias.
    Last edited by godiscus; 04-10-18 at 09:26 AM.

It looks really nice and healthy. For me, GSA indicates either low phosphates, low CO2, high light or all of the above. Maybe add some nerite snails if you have access to them. Or otherwise just ride it out.

December. Still a problem with GSA on anubias especially Anubias coffeefolia. Plants that I have failed with include Hygrophila pinnatifida and Syngonanthus sp. Belem.

Little stainless steel mesh hanging everywhere. Becoming an overgrown mess. But growing nicely.
    Last edited by godiscus; 20-12-18 at 11:55 AM.