Thread: 4ft low light

Default 4ft low light

Hello all,
    Setting up a tank for my wife for the waiting room at her work.
    4ft x 1.5ft x 2ft
    Ada amazonia substrate
    Low light plants, currently has left overs from my other tanks.
    I've put in an old 3ft quad t5ho light (onky two bulbs in atm) but it takes up the whole hood and means I can't put the auto fish feeder in....
    So I'm looking for a cheapish led light.
    Chihiros and up aqua u p are the current one's on the list. Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Last edited by mlaser; 29-07-18 at 07:12 PM.

Hey mlaser.

Any light will basically work since the plants will be low light. You can even use a T8 light and buy 6500k tubes at bunnings for like $5 for a pack of 2 which is amazing value.

The Chihiros lights are really good lighting since they can end up being high lighting for certain tanks. It comes with an inline dimmer to get it to low light levels. I couldn't find the A-series on Hinterfeld.com.au .. you may need to check hinterfeld.com and order from them. It is expensive though at $143 shipped!

Up Aqua is also pretty good. Some guys on this forum have used them. The u series is very powerful though at 2w leds each that would very powerful for a low light tank since you cannot dim it. The z series would put you into the low light category.

Aquaholics also sell a pretty good light for low light tanks. It is a full spectrum light with RGB colours. Unfortunately it is out of stock so you might need to contact them for stock.

http://www.aquaholicsonline.com.au/d...4ft-120cm.html

Finally MML sell a Chihiros light. However i can't find it on the website anymore but i don't think they sold a 4ft version but read somewhere he might make it if there's demand for it. You can email Fred and see if they make a 4ft version. The light is great.

The biggest problem for you is the size of the tank. A 4ft tank is quite big so everything including a light becomes expensive. Let us know what you decide to go with.

Thanks for your thoughts Monty, I'm going to go the Chihiros, found them on hinterfield for 125 delivered. Like the fact I can dim them and the thin form factor as I'm trying to maximise space inside the hood. I had a look at the MML but cost is $230 vs $125 so considering the chihiros will do the job i'll just go that I think.

Make sure your hood has good ventilation with a couple of fans. Heat and humidity will kill LEDs and their drivers fast.

Monty has made excellent suggestions btw. Can't really add much to it apart from saying a single MML tube maybe also ok.
    Last edited by Rebel; 31-07-18 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlaser View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts Monty, I'm going to go the Chihiros, found them on hinterfield for 125 delivered. Like the fact I can dim them and the thin form factor as I'm trying to maximise space inside the hood. I had a look at the MML but cost is $230 vs $125 so considering the chihiros will do the job i'll just go that I think.
    I use 2 of these on my 2ft cube and they are great. If they are turned all the way up they get very hot but if set a step or two below they are fine. If only low light is required turn them down to about half and you will be sweet.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    Hey mlaser.

Any light will basically work since the plants will be low light. You can even use a T8 light and buy 6500k tubes at bunnings for like $5 for a pack of 2 which is amazing value.

The Chihiros lights are really good lighting since they can end up being high lighting for certain tanks. It comes with an inline dimmer to get it to low light levels. I couldn't find the A-series on Hinterfeld.com.au .. you may need to check hinterfeld.com and order from them. It is expensive though at $143 shipped!

Up Aqua is also pretty good. Some guys on this forum have used them. The u series is very powerful though at 2w leds each that would very powerful for a low light tank since you cannot dim it. The z series would put you into the low light category.

Aquaholics also sell a pretty good light for low light tanks. It is a full spectrum light with RGB colours. Unfortunately it is out of stock so you might need to contact them for stock.

http://www.aquaholicsonline.com.au/d...4ft-120cm.html

Finally MML sell a Chihiros light. However i can't find it on the website anymore but i don't think they sold a 4ft version but read somewhere he might make it if there's demand for it. You can email Fred and see if they make a 4ft version. The light is great.

The biggest problem for you is the size of the tank. A 4ft tank is quite big so everything including a light becomes expensive. Let us know what you decide to go with.
    We have added a 4ft ultraslim chihiros style panel with power leds for punch and rgb leds for colour tuning, best of both worlds. Details here http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...546#post591546

Hiya Fred,

A few questions.

1. What brand are the 1W power leds? Are they the usual form factor with the two legs?
    2. Is it a single wire coming out of the panel?
    3. What's the rough weight for the 4 footer panel?
    4. What's the thickness and width of the 4 footer panel?

Thanks and good to see you are still innovating.
    Last edited by Rebel; 03-08-18 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hiya Fred,

A few questions.

1. What brand are the 1W power leds? Are they the usual form factor with the two legs?
    2. Is it a single wire coming out of the panel?
    3. What's the rough weight for the 4 footer panel?
    4. What's the thickness and width of the 4 footer panel?

Thanks and good to see you are still innovating.
    Osram 1W leds, form factor is much smaller then than the Epistar 3W leds with the 2 legs we use in our XB2 systems, these are only 3mm square (called a 3030 led) no legs on these and we chose them because there is only a 3mm space between the circuit board and the glass and needed a very low profile led. 4 footer weighs 2kg, height is 10mm, width is 100mm.

The u series is very powerful though at 2w leds each that would very powerful for a low light tank since you cannot dim it. The z series would put you into the low light category.

With respect , the U series is not 2w led chips - it's a cluster of 4x 0.5w ( 2white 1blue 1 red ) total of 2w

Quote Originally Posted by fnqld View Post
    The u series is very powerful though at 2w leds each that would very powerful for a low light tank since you cannot dim it. The z series would put you into the low light category.

With respect , the U series is not 2w led chips - it's a cluster of 4x 0.5w ( 2white 1blue 1 red ) total of 2w
    Thanks for clarifying that. I always thought they were 2w each and not a cluster of leds. But still good of them to include colour leds for better plant growth. Not a powerful light then but still good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    Not a powerful light then but still good enough.
    I've always imagined LED 'clusters' would be rated as the sum of the cluster. IE the LEd you mentioned would be rated at 2W and would be fair enough. All that remains to be determined is how far can the LEDs can be before they become separate. For example if the distance between the individual LED chips is 0, then there is no argument. what if it's 2mm, 4mm, 6mm.... etc etc. From my viewpoint, if there is a common lens which combines the light, then it would be fair game to call it a 2W LED (cluster).

For example, have a look at this LEd cluster.

If you look at the RGBW version, there is 4 LEDs in close proximity (but not touching). Would you classify it as simply a 1W led x 4 or a 4W x 1 LED?

I don't think it matters as long as we have an idea of the light 'throw' or lensing capability. Very low power LEDs (for example 0.3w) won't go far even if you use a lens, due to losses at the lens etc.

Another good example is this.

https://www.banggood.com/20W-30W-50W...r_warehouse=CN