Thread: Plant ID app

Default Plant ID app

Not sure if i'm posting in the right place, maybe The Fountain would be better?

I was in Adelaide over the weekend and wandering through the gardens when I came across a really pretty moss. I took a photo in order to post it here so you lot could ID it. Then a friend told me about Plant Snap . It's an app that can identify photos of plants on the spot. I've not tried it with aquatic plants but I wanted to give you guys the heads up because I foresee it becoming a very handy little thing for beginners and even experienced plant growers
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

I've just done a little fiddling around on this app. I tried some emersed Echinodorus leaves (of a species, not a cultivar), some crypt flowers and an emersed Pogostemon and it didn't pick up on anything to the correct genus. The closest it got was to linking a crypt flower to Spathiphyllum. I'm thinking it's probably not geared to aquatic/marginal plants.

I still think it's pretty nifty and I'm keen to try it out with some more commonly seen plants. Does anyone have any success with it being completely accurate?
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

I will download to have a play. I think this would be awesome even if it was 80% accurate. I have no idea about terrestrials and it would be nice to know which ones are around when you go for a walk.

I've admittedly not tried it on any aquatic plants as yet, but I'll give it a whirl next rescape. I also tried out Pl@ntNet which is similar, maybe try that one too?
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!