Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apistogramma borellii 'opal'

Quote Originally Posted by Orcustus View Post
    I'd say seven is still a success, especially for a first timer! What do you think is the biggest tip from your experience?
    Great question. I believe there was a combination of things that led me to breed these guys. First, I noticed the female really needed to be comfortable in the tank to not eat the eggs, that meant removing the male. It was a breeding tank, so not much room for him to run away, she was a bit of a psycho too...Once I removed the male, she completely switched, relaxed and dedicated more time to her fry.
    Water parameters could've also helped greatly, I introduced shrimp soil which brings my tap water pH of 7.5 to 6-6.5 and also fed more live foods to get them ready.

Things I will really try to avoid or make sure I get right in the future is water changes...on the first water change I did (about 25% a week after they were born) I lost half the fry, so all of a sudden 30 had disappeared :S
    Second water change, I also changed 25% but this time I made sure water params and temperature were on point...didn't matter, I lost another 50% of the fry...about 15 left.
    Third water change I said, f#@k it, only 10% water change, params on point and drip!...finally I started to not lose that many...they had also grown and strengthen a bit, so that would've helped too. From that day onwards I got things a little bit better.

That is just my case tho, I know for a fact that other people they just do water changes without thinking twice about it, even bigger % and more often than me with 0 problems but...This is what worked for me hehe

@Rebel - No predation that I saw, the pair was alone in the tank and then I removed the male. Mom was really good and caring, I never saw any sign of predation from her but, maybe. She was well fed during the whole process too tho.

Great shots and info

I've never had issues changing water with fry, so that is definitely an interesting situation you had happening. Any large temperature swings during your water changes?

The parents will generally start to predate once they are ready to spawn, this tends to happen to the male first. Usually removing the male helps prolong the amount of time female will care for fry (sometimes she takes care of them until they are of good size).
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Fascinating information gents. I will watch from the side lines.

One theory: Maybe there was some ammonia in the water and your water changes swung the pH from acidic to basic therefore exposing them?

That is entirely possible Rebel. I suppose it depends how quickly the fry perish?
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Great shots and info

I've never had issues changing water with fry, so that is definitely an interesting situation you had happening. Any large temperature swings during your water changes?
    I wouldn't say it was due to temp swing, as the tank was at 25C and the water I used for the water change I always age for a week, so it was around same room temperature, maybe 23-24...so I don't think that'd be it? the first water change could've easily been for different params tho (ph, gh, ppm) as I used tap water. The following water changes were made with RO water and sort of improved survival rate.

Rebel could be right, I did test ammonia back then and it was minimum, but it was present, so a water change with tap water ph at [email protected], fry would be gone a day after

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12