Thread: Discus Bare bottom tank ideas.

Default Discus Bare bottom tank ideas.

Looking for ideas on a bare bottom tank for Dicus that isn’t bare bottomed.
    So I’m looking at getting back into discus and buying and growing out some small ones. In my experience to do this well I’ve had to go bare bottom to be able to clean the tank properly and regularly due to the heavy feeding. The only drama I have is the tank is in the lounge but to me can look a bit drab and “retail aquarium” like. So my idea is to put something down on the bottom of the tank that’s hard and flat but looks nice. Was thinking slate tiles or similar but I’m worried if a small amount of water, food waste or fish waste gets under them it will go rancid. Has anyone tried anything like this with any success?

Someone on ukaps had a similar design with auto clean for goldies. Had a fair bit o plumbing tho.

Turns out I’m a plumber so might work to my advantage.
    Any chance you remember any more details about the post?

Why thank you!
    The drama with that one for me is it doesn’t leave the food accessible for the fish to eat when it hits the floor of the tank.
    Will be feeding mainly beef heart mix so sinks quick but they eat it off the tank floor too.

Just have timed switch for the bottom filter. Press once for it to stop for 15 minutes or whatever you need.

There was a nice hardscape only minimal layout on the interwebs but cant remember about bare bottom though. Could you just silicone a layer of sand to the bottom???

why don't you use gravel on the bottom and just gravel clean the tank?