Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fishless cycle - can't seem to produce ammonia

I grabbed some media from my other tank and rinsed in the new tank so that might help, plus I think the media in the canister was already pretty mature. I'm not keen to add livestock until I've got it looking the way I want anyways. Happy to be patient (for the first time ever in this hobby!)
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

In that case you may cycle faster. Once the ammonia and nitrites both dissapear, you should be pretty close.

Unless I put too much organic ammonia in, and then killed the bacteria

But I'm sure it'll be fine. I can't afford to stock it for a few weeks anyway so it'll just have to sit there.
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVader View Post
    Unless I put too much organic ammonia in, and then killed the bacteria
    That will be unlikely. There is no such thing as 'organic ammonia'. :P Urea could be organic given that it has a carbon in it but the urea is quickly converted to ammonia by bacteria.

True. I guess also if I'm getting nitrate readings then there has to be some sort of cycle going on.. ?

True. I guess also if I'm getting nitrate readings then there has to be some sort of cycle going on.. ?
    Yes but the nitrate test kits are pretty inaccurate.

Also cycling is not a all or nothing phenomenon.

Depending on how you define it, you could be 10% cycled for example....

Welp, I went down with the flu for a few days. Then I had to go to Adelaide for work. So I was unable to obsessively test my levels for about a week. The good news is that I tested yesterday and hooray, my tank has cycled! 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, small amount of nitrate.

Now to start seriously thinking about whether I'll keep the substrate or mix it with my La Plata sand. And the scape. And the livestock.. what's that, bank account? do I hear you crying? shooosh, it'll all be over soon.

Now you have grown your microbe culture, remember to feed the tank small amounts of fish food to keep the microbes in a good density and ready for the addition of fish.

When you have flu the organic fluids might even be even more concentrated!! More bang for ya buck!!!

Don't mix anything cheap with the La Plata though. Use either or.

Yep, I'll keep adding some flakes and testing before I add any livestock which is still a few weeks away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    When you have flu the organic fluids might even be even more concentrated!! More bang for ya buck!!!

Don't mix anything cheap with the La Plata though. Use either or.
    Hahah love your enthusiasm! Why not mix with La Plata? What happens?

Hahah love your enthusiasm! Why not mix with La Plata? What happens?
    I see it like this.

If you can mix with la plata and not see the difference, I'd sell the plata and use the cheaper option.

If you mix and dilute the la plata to be invisible, might as well not use it.

A bag of river sand from bunners is about $8 I think. Enough for a large tank.

Fair call. I have to admit the La Plata is growing on me in my other tank. I might save the sugar sand for a longer tank.. hmmm..

Fair call. I have to admit the La Plata is growing on me in my other tank. I might save the sugar sand for a longer tank.. hmmm..
    Yes, La Plata appears to be the 'gold standard' of natural sands. It depends on your aesthetic preference to a degree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123