Thread: parameters using ro water

Default parameters using ro water

hey guys, attempting to do a planted tank using ro water, adding equilibrium and carbonate hardness

last night my parameters were ph 6.1, gh 8, kh 7

the tank is just over a week old, so wanna get parameters good before i add any fish

im unsure as to what i should add next, i added a little bit of equilibrium and carbonate hardness when i set up the tank, then i wanted to test it all, but i wasnt expecting it to be that high. im using eco complete and was wondering if the liquid in the bag could of started it up a bit high?

my co2 drop checker wont fit on tank (rimless drop checker, my braces stop it) so ive got one coming in the mail. i have a aqua one ph pen just calibrated, will the ph be different whilst the co2 running?

any know where to get some 4dkh solution? also was gonna look into putting marble into my cannister, how ever i wanted to master the other method first

fish going into tank are gonna be tetras and maybe a pleco, nothing fancy

plants are mostly swords and anubias, with some hairgrass

assuming a kh and gh of between 2 to 4 is ideal?

I have water from my bore that is almost distilled. I add 50/50 calcium chloride and magnesium sulphate to raise hardness to 100 ppm, (4 or 5 deg), that gives a 4 to one ratio of calcium to magnesium and potassium bicarbonate to raise KH to 60 ppm, (3 deg), then I add a plant fertiliser, (Dinosaur Spit, Dinosaur Dung and Dinosaur Pee).

Eco complete will cause your Kh to rise quite rapidly in the first year or so. No carbonates need to be added.

Otherwise you can add calcium and magnesium to bring the gh to 5 or so.

Eco complete is inert so so will need plant fertiliser depending on stocking/light and co2 levels.

Any reason for insisting on RO water? Is your tap water contaminated with heavy metals etc?

Aim to get ph difference of one unit when co2 is running. Drop checkers should only be used as a rough guide only.

I have a Cal Aqua 4dKH solution but not sure where I got that from. Perhaps from the LFS. I can't see any good ones on ebay either!!
    Last edited by Rebel; 20-06-18 at 11:18 AM.

I'm with Rebel in asking why you want to use R/O water?
    If your water supply has a general hardness of less than 200ppm it will be fine for tetras and plecos. If you want to breed tetras then use R/O for breeding them but I wouldn't waste water trying to reduce the hardness unless your water is extremely hard to begin with.

Hair grass and Anubius are not true aquatic plants and will not do that well when grown underwater continuously. Some good aquatic plants to try include: Ambulia; Hygrophila species like H. costata, H. corymbosa, H. polysperma & H. ruba; Ludwigia natas, narrow Vallis, Amazon swordplants, and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides).

sorry for the late reply

i use ro water becuase we have a rain tank outside that has no use anymore, so its use is basically fish tanks now lol

i use a auto doser which doses 7mm of liverpool all in one ferts every 2nd day, which is around about the medium planted tank

ive only managed to find 4dhk solution on ebay from the us

anywho of to do water change sundy

Worth a look into DIY 4dkh solution, quite easy to make