Lily Pipes
    Walcann Step Down 240v/100v Converter for the light
    Sodastream Adapter
    DICI Compact Regulator w/ solenoid and bubble counter
    Powerboard and timers

And what's still to be worked out:

Plants
    Fish
    Plumbing, in particular whether to go with a CO2 reactor or an inline atomiser or (much less likely) and in-tank diffuser.

I'm leaning towards a reactor for the CO2, if for no other reason than it will involve a few more kinks and bends and resistance between the head of the 2213 and the outflow.
    Last edited by siemanthepieman; 01-07-18 at 02:04 PM.
    siemanthepieman - french for 'bloody legend'

Love that setup!

Yeah definitely go for reactor as the tank is so tiny and you dont want to crowd it. If you are can do little DIY, the murazaki had a good reactor design. Otherwise the sera or ista mix max.

Keen to see this develop.

I think I've now got everything I need for this either sitting in the cabinet ready to be hooked/plumber up or in the post and on it's way. The TechDen had an ISTA Turbo reactor for a great price ($13ish) so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Initially I'll just stock a few shrimp - thinking blue cherries - so all I need to settle on is plants and any additional hardscape.

I'm in two minds as to whether I should try to nest the driftwood amongst rocks or just leave it to stand alone.

For plants I'm thinking crypts and hair grass behind the driftwood, dwarf hair grass around the sides and a UG/HC foreground.

Anyone else got any other suggestions? Lilaeopsis instead of hair grass? I've been toying with the idea of using L. brisbanica and glosso for a native plant list?

It's always a shame to start the filled tank shots for a journal with an algae-fest, but I suppose it is to be expected with a substrate of new Aquasoil and a 27W PC globe over about 14 litres of water - especially when you don't check whether the override switch on the timers is on or off and the tank ends up getting 24/7 lighting for its first 5 days.

Anyway, here it is - Day 7 or 8. Needless to say with all that light, initial growth is good, if algae affected.

I'm not sure if the picture is not great or the mild green water just makes it look a bit out of focus. I gave the glass a clean today. I've dialled the CO2 up a bit. The light's timer is now working and on for 8 hours a day. And I've done a couple of roughly 30% water changes. It's all looking much clearer already.

So what's in there, you ask? Well, from the front to around each side of the driftwood and up to the rear right corner, we have:

Glosso elatinoides
    Crypt parva
    Eleocharis parvulus (standard)
    Rotala sp. green
    Eleocharis geniculata (Coomalie Creek Hairgrass)

There is one other species in there which Dave from Aquagreen threw in for free with my order. I am not sure what it is but it is attractive. That and the Coomalie Creek Hairgrass might (probably will) get too big for the tank, but I'm not one to waste a freebie nor too worried to try first and remove later if it doesn't work.

No fish/shrimp yet. Gotta let it settle/cycle.
    Last edited by siemanthepieman; 25-07-18 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by siemanthepieman View Post
    Well, this is exciting:

Sadly, the underbody is missing as many parts as the tank:

So what have I got:

ADA Solar Mini S Light Stand w/ custom cabinet
    ADA Mini S tank
    Eheim 2213
    Hydor Inline heater
    SodaStream C02 Cannister

And what's coming (or already got but still in the shed/post/etc):

ADA Amazonia (the small stuff!)
    Lily Pipes
    Walcann Step Down 240v/100v Converter for the light
    Sodastream Adapter
    DICI Compact Regulator w/ solenoid and bubble counter
    Powerboard and timers

And what's still to be worked out:

Plants
    Fish
    Plumbing, in particular whether to go with a CO2 reactor or an inline atomiser or (much less likely) and in-tank diffuser.

I'm leaning towards a reactor for the CO2, if for no other reason than it will involve a few more kinks and bends and resistance between the head of the 2213 and the outflow.
    I know you shouldn't under filtrate but is that canister not a bit big for this size tank? I use it on 180 litres and the tank is healthy.

I don't think a filter can ever be too big - as long as it fits in the cabinet in which it needs to sit. It adds volume (about 3.5L or 20% for this tank) and a heap of mechanical and biological filtration capacity which can only be a good thing.

My only worry was the flow. But the filter must be about 15 years old now and it runs through four 90 degree elbow connectors, an inline heater and an ISTA turbo reactor. I'll take a photo with the next tank update so you can see my under cabinet set up.

If anything, I'd like a bit more flow and am thinking of replacing the 90 degree elbow connectors with genuine curved Eheim parts or a new 2213. But for now, it all seems to be working quite well together so I'll be lraving it for the time being.

Hopefully the algae clears up for you, perhaps look at the small Cal Aqua glass pipes, they are tiny and would improve the ascetic of this tank. F1 and X1 http://calaqualabs.com/fluxus/

I used a 2213 in my 30cm cube with CO2 reactor etc and found it lacking. :P

btw the algae looks like green dust and filamentous diatoms. Easy to clear. Since you haven't got livestock, and if you have some available, chuck some algaefix in. I reckon it will get rid of most of that algae for you.

Will you have nerite snails/Darwin shrimp keeping with the native scheme?
    Last edited by Rebel; 26-07-18 at 11:42 AM.

Seeing a lot of Algeafix as the remedy on this forum, no one using Excel? Or is that old school?

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Hopefully the algae clears up for you, perhaps look at the small Cal Aqua glass pipes, they are tiny and would improve the ascetic of this tank. F1 and X1 http://calaqualabs.com/fluxus/
    Thanks doylecolmdoyle, I thought about getting new glassware but I had these laying around and, in the end, I’d blown my budget for the initial set up. Also, I kind of like that the inflow is right on the substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I used a 2213 in my 30cm cube with CO2 reactor etc and found it lacking. :P
    Thanks Rebel, me too. I used a few elbow connectors thinking there would be too much flow. Now wishing I had a bit more. Plenty of bacterial and mechanical filtering capacity though! Also, I’m really pleased with the ISTA Turbo Reactor so far. And the DICI Regulator for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Will you have nerite snails/Darwin shrimp keeping with the native scheme?
    No, I’m thinking cherries. Probably blue or orange/yellow. Maybe both colours. I might even get a few reds. Go the Crows!

Quote Originally Posted by slin1977 View Post
    Seeing a lot of Algeafix as the remedy on this forum, no one using Excel? Or is that old school?
    I am using Excel on this tank. The thread algae hates it. Not sure it works on the green dust/diatoms but they seem under control now.

Quote Originally Posted by slin1977 View Post
    Excel is safer for the critters I reckon. Algaefix is safer for the plants. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast