Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shallow tank with sump

Default Shallow tank with sump

Hey guys,
    I'm coming back from a long break, i have been sold everything and now i order a new tank from a company here in Canada who custom made acrylic/polycarbonate aquarium.

I order a shallow tank 40x16x14'' and a sump 30x14x16''. The tank will be as a Penninsulia, but i'm not sure if it will be setup like this in my apartment. Also, i'm still not sure if i'm going bottom less (without substrate) or with a substrate.

Some pic from the supplier, the tank left it facility tomorrow.

Keep in touch soon !

That's a classy sump! Love it.

Are you going to have a nature aquarium in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    That's a classy sump! Love it.

Are you going to have a nature aquarium in it?
    Yes only a nature. I'm choosing my light it this moment, i also have a top in polycarbonate. Polycarbonate, the light pass through at 89%. Probably get 2 units of A160 from Kessil.

Looking forward to it. Also consider the Freshwater AI prime which IMHO is a better light.

I got the tank today and i think i will place it there, what do you think ?
    Also i will need to think on sometime for the support fixture light, maybe something with the stand and the wall ?
    I will add door in front and back of the stand.

Nice setup indeed! Maybe consider a black background to hide the sump inlets etc.

Your scape will need to accomodate vieweing from 3 angles which will make is most likely an island style or a long island in the middle.

Black background inside the tank ? Or maybe need to find another piece of acrylic in black...i didn't think of it lol when i ask him to built it.
    I'm still not sure on the scape, firstly i bought it to sell plant. I sell fertilizer all in one on internet, works pretty well and i want sell some buce.
    So maybe the scape will be on many buce!

If the scape is not important, then you won't need black background etc. You could try to slip a background on the outside of the glass maybe?

I will think about it, i bought this tank for long long time. In 2-3 years, i will buy a house and put this tank in a wall.
    Do you have an idea for the light fixture ? I will probably get 2 AI HD prime.

Lights are difficult choice and it depends on your aesthetic sensibilities and local availability.

I would prefer AI prime but you need to figure out how to mount them. I would prefer a hang kit from the ceiling if possible to keep it very sleek. As you may know, if money is not a limiting factor, the best LED is the ADA solar RGB (which has a cooler colour temperature however). Lupy led will leave a large hole in your wallet and guaranteed to destroy any marriage. I am not a fan of the Kessils because of the fan noise. Twinstar is a great light but it's not designed to be hung from the ceiling. Too many choices; none of them perfect in my eyes.

Since you are looking at high end lights, ecotech radions actually worked really well on my 2ft. It has the sleekest design in my opinion, very minimalistic and simple which suits my tastes.

Not a popular choice as it is a 'marine' light. But you are able to adjust the spectrum. Would look best hung down from the ceiling. Can post my aquascape if you wanted proof that it can be used for freshwater too

I have a bender of EMT here, i will give another shot and try to make a light stand with.
    I have radion XR15FW, AI prime HD FW, Kessil A160 in my loop.
    The ADA solar RGB if it was only the price...1499$ CAD here, too much money for a brand name light.
    Also, i have the vectra S1 return pump and mp10 from ecotech as pump on my list.
    This built is still in progress.

Looks great. My only concern would be how easily it can be scratched so be particularly careful.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Ado
    Whatever

It can be scratch only by the magnet and the soil. With shallow tank, i can easily maintain it with a Mr. net sponge without any issue.
    I'm looking forward for a small groupe of 8-12 Colomesus asellus (amazon puffer). Probably need to get another tank to raise some feed.

Project of the day, finishing the stand + make a huge hole for the piping! Hope does not affect the viability of the stand.
    Need door stopper!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast