Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone tell me how they find their rocks for their tanks?

Default Can anyone tell me how they find their rocks for their tanks?

I'm interested in where to look or what to look for. Dantrasy's tank for eg has some amazing looking rocks in it. Should I start looking around old Volcano sites or something?

Try plant nurseries is my suggestions...some aquariums do sell them but they will cost ya...

Those stones are dragon stone. Generally about $10 per kilo at LFS. You wont find it locally..

Quote Originally Posted by odie_88 View Post
    Try plant nurseries is my suggestions...some aquariums do sell them but they will cost ya...
    Onto it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Those stones are dragon stone. Generally about $10 per kilo at LFS. You wont find it locally..
    Sorry what's LFS?

Quote Originally Posted by dylan86_exe View Post
    Sorry what's LFS?
    Local Fish Store

Sorry what's LFS?
    Local Fish Store

Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    Local Fish Store
    ok thanks!

Actually, am I able to try something different... maybe a bluestone or something? Or is that a no go?

Pretty sure blue stone is fine, but not that interesting to look at, basically any stone that doesn't leach calcium / minerals is good. You can test with vinegar, here is a good article - https://www.thesprucepets.com/using-...uarium-1381305

Always check local landscape suppliers before handing over money to aquarium / fish stores, they mark hardscape materials up big time, you can also buy boxes of rocks from big chain pet stores such as petbarn etc.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 07-06-18 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Pretty sure blue stone is fine, but not that interesting to look at, basically any stone that doesn't leach calcium / minerals is good. You can test with vinegar, here is a good article - https://www.thesprucepets.com/using-...uarium-1381305
    Excellent. Thanks!

Actually, am I able to try something different... maybe a bluestone or something? Or is that a no go?
    Blue stone (blue steel) doesn't need testing etc and doesn't leech. It is absolutely fine to use. Usually for $5 you can get about 30kg of it from the landscaping supplies. I think it's usually $100 per ton.

The main problem with it is that it is boring and makes tanks look small.

The reason for people going for expensive stones is that they have very fine detail which improves illusion of size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Blue stone (blue steel) doesn't need testing etc and doesn't leech. It is absolutely fine to use. Usually for $5 you can get about 30kg of it from the landscaping supplies. I think it's usually $100 per ton.

The main problem with it is that it is boring and makes tanks look small.

The reason for people going for expensive stones is that they have very fine detail which improves illusion of size.
    Yeah I can see that. The only thing is that the look I have in my mind would need a big solid chunk of rock that I don't think I can achieve with the other more expensive types. I basically want it to look like this (excuse my drawing skills):
    https://imgur.com/a/bO8AzCt

Where the bluestone contrast nicely against ADA amazonia and the green moss/carpet. I'm really liking Iwagumi stone too though.
    Last edited by dylan86_exe; 08-06-18 at 11:17 AM.

Dylan, how big is the tank you are planing? Pisces sell boxes of Seiryu stone/rock, I think its about $40 for a box from shops like petcity, petstock, cityfarmers etc etc, most big stores sell Pisces products (Soil, gravel, rocks etc etc)

The big Seiryu stone I got for this tank was sourced from a landscape supply and this stone alone was just over 9kg, I think it cost me about $50 bucks.

IMG_9621 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

The Pisces boxes are generally pretty small stones, you can try glue them together with selleys knead it.

Maybe also consider using slate, you could get a simple effect buy using a big "slice" of slate rock, which could look pretty cool, perhaps even stacking multiple slices of slate together to create the hanging cliff effect similar to your drawing.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 08-06-18 at 11:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast