Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Luked's 4x2x2 project

Solved my own question re extra flow (for back left of tank)
    Going to buy a small 500lph power head or maybe a tad larger, rig up some clear pvc tube stuffed with some filter floss and a bit of larger holed media and make a surface skimmer, one that won't be visible from the viewing angles of the tank but will clear the gunk off surface AND add the small amount of extra flow for the back side of the tank.

Could you hide the intake and output on the left back? if so, maybe you could hide the wavemaker at the left back as well? I think that filter should be enough as long as you don't over stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Could you hide the intake and output on the left back? if so, maybe you could hide the wavemaker at the left back as well? I think that filter should be enough as long as you don't over stock.
    I probably could do that, but then detritus wouldn't get picked up off the sand as easy either
    Though the Corydoras may just do the trick for keeping things afloat lol
    The wave-maker wouldn't fit back there unfortunately, it would throw everything out lol.

The current input/output on tank is temporary until I can find a more aesthetically pleasing custom stainless steel or glass solution.

http://imgur.com/gallery/YebCNfM

Will convert to direct image when I'm on pc next. It's clearing right up again.

UPDATE:
    Last edited by luked; 08-11-18 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added direct image

Spick n span. 💪

Hoping that this will cycle relatively quickly even though I washed out canister with tap water.
    I did avoid washing the ceramic noodles as much as possible but had to clear a lot of gunk off them. prior to fixing the order of media.

Thinking when I bring fish over on the weekend I will bring the other seeded filter and run it for a few weeks on the new tank just to help with the cycle and bacteria.

Parents will be happy once the old tank is fully shut down and moved out of the house lol.
    Do I put it in my garage, hmmm.... missus will probably shoot me.

Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    Hoping that this will cycle relatively quickly even though I washed out canister with tap water.
    It will be fine dude. Those bacteria are tougher than we think they are.

I am strongly voting in favour of the garage grow out tank.

It will be fine dude. Those bacteria are tougher than we think they are.

I am strongly voting in favour of the garage grow out tank.
    Well, ive always heard that washing with tap water would kill it all off, so you give me a bit of hope.
    It will also depend on if I can fit it, as the car has to fit in too haha, fish may not enjoy the v8 exhaust fumes too though.

Well, ive always heard that washing with tap water would kill it all off,
    yeah perhaps a little but the biofilms are strong. They will bounce very fast given enough food and O2. O2 is the main limiting factor.

yeah perhaps a little but the biofilms are strong. They will bounce very fast given enough food and O2. O2 is the main limiting factor.
    I just noticed my co2 bottle has gassed out, lucky I had no fish in the tank.
    Damn, now I need to find somewhere to get it refilled properly this time.

Paid $50 to get it filled like 2 months ago and its empty already, I dont think the guy knew what he was doing as he had only just started doing it.

Measure the weight when empty and repeat after its 'full' .

Check for leaks as well..... Thusly:
    Last edited by Rebel; 08-11-18 at 10:40 AM.

Measure the weight when empty and repeat after its 'full' .
    a good point! he filled it out the back, but from what I seen he only filled it using a bottle which was roughly the same size, so I cant see that would have filled mine.
    I will measure but. its a 2.6kg bottle I believe

Im trying to get in touch with a homebrew store close to me as I just found that they are a keg-king supplier too, so hoping they can either fill my bottle or perhaps do a swap and go.
    its a keg on legs bottle if I remember correctly though.

Paid $50 to get it filled like 2 months ago and its empty already, I dont think the guy knew what he was doing as he had only just started doing it.
    I will measure but. its a 2.6kg bottle I believe
    $50 is way too steep. I pay $25 to refill a 2.6kg Keg King bottle at my local brew shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
    $50 is way too steep. I pay $25 to refill a 2.6kg Keg King bottle at my local brew shop.
    $31 for me.

Just looked at boc gas supply for $79 I can get 2 6kg bottles per year, probably going to go look into this on Saturday with the local supplier, may then sell my bottle and just use hire as it's going to be much easier to manage

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast