Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Luked's 4x2x2 project

Looks great. Don't let those stems grow too far. Hack them 1/3 and then another 1/3.

For the sand, just siphon and let it dry in the sun. You can re add. No need to keep buying more sand. You could even wash in hot water if you are feeling so inclined.

Seems BGA LOVES this heat. its growing like mad at the moment.
    Also need to DIY up a fan rig with all my spare pc fans, this tanks sitting at 27.8 when I get home from work late arvo, so im worried what it is mid day

Hi Luked, your tank will be very stable with regard to temperature so won't be much more that during the day. Done right, the PC fans will reduce that temp to 23 easily but with massive evaporation. But you need to have low humidity in the room however.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Luked, your tank will be very stable with regard to temperature so won't be much more that during the day. Done right, the PC fans will reduce that temp to 23 easily but with massive evaporation. But you need to have low humidity in the room however.
    our unit is always dry and i rarely see evaporation on the tank, it probably loses a cm over 2 weeks if I forget a water change
    spose they should be ok for a season of 28's, though ill rig something up and see how it goes anyway.

As for the BGA, its madness. one clean rock in the entire tank and thats from the bolivians spawning lol.

its not bothering me greatly though as I just do a good clean every 2nd week.
    Going to dose Nitrogen to combat it

Got a nice pic after I did a good clean and trim. cut about 10ft of stems out as I got lazy and let it grow across the top of the tank.

Added 10 Sterbai Corydoras to go with my 10 Panda Corys

Lost about 3 of the adult pandas due to the heat recently but they've also bread and I have about 4 juveniles now, so not actually sure how many are in the tank exactly.

Since removing the Bolivian Rams everyone is lot happier and swimming everywhere, the corys come out a lot more now and show a lot more behavior which is great!

Pearl Gouramis have spawned also, but they seem pretty chill in comparison to the bolivians when they spawned.

And the last update and sadest part of the update.... somehow snails got into the tank. I now have a ramshorn infestation.
    so any plants I sell now will have to go through quarantine first. (on my end)

Also still waiting for temps to drop for LCA to ship me the NQAS

Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    And the last update and sadest part of the update.... somehow snails got into the tank. I now have a ramshorn infestation.
    so any plants I sell now will have to go through quarantine first. (on my end)
    I found some small snails in the java whilst in quarantine, wasnt quite sure what species they were. I crushed the really tiny ones and put some in my small ikea jar scape in our bathroom which has ramshorns already in it. Letting them go to town in that space and will nuke the scape when its done its time.

I put about half the java I got off you into my big tank over the last 2 weeks (half is still in quarantine) and most rhizomes have new leaves. Just hoping I got all the snails beforehand as im not seeming to find them anymore.

Your scape is looking really good. Crazy growth along the wood and in the bottom half.

If plants are seperate in a container use permanganate on it. Otherwise those rammies will infest.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFellow View Post
    I found some small snails in the java whilst in quarantine, wasnt quite sure what species they were. I crushed the really tiny ones and put some in my small ikea jar scape in our bathroom which has ramshorns already in it. Letting them go to town in that space and will nuke the scape when its done its time.

I put about half the java I got off you into my big tank over the last 2 weeks (half is still in quarantine) and most rhizomes have new leaves. Just hoping I got all the snails beforehand as im not seeming to find them anymore.

Your scape is looking really good. Crazy growth along the wood and in the bottom half.
    Christmas moss you mean
    Yea I have no clue how they got there, i've done absolutely no cross contaminating from my snail infested cube to the big tank.

Now the scape is just filled with ramshorns.
    Letting them do their thing for now, its keeping the tank clean lol.

Thanks for the appreciation on the tank too! the growth is phenomenal.
    I just tossed out about 3/4 of the stems I had too, due to a trim.
    and Considering I started with only 3-4cm stems from someone elses trim, im pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    If plants are seperate in a container use permanganate on it. Otherwise those rammies will infest.
    Ill have to get my hands on some if I want to sell more

Could be a net contamination. With pest snails, just one little egg needs to get there.

still waiting on my NQAS.

The Yellow Cherry i put in the tank when I first set it up was berried at the time, since removing the bolivians I now have a dozen yellow cherries and 3 are berried again.
    Not too worried about the quality as im more happy they are eating some of that delicious algae.

Also had a couple of Panda cory fry, one got to 1cm then died, another to 5mm and died.
    assuming not getting the food they needed.

My NQAS turned up yesterday, LCA graciously gave me about double what I ordered due to the 4 month delay due to weather and stock issues.
    so theres roughly 60ish NQAS in the tank now.

Soon as I opened the bag and released them they all went straight to work eating algae which was amazing to watch.

I do think I will need to take a couple out and put them in the cube though, to clean the cube, to give the cube some life apart from plants and to reduce the number in this tank even if its only by small few

My NQAS turned up yesterday, LCA graciously gave me about double what I ordered due to the 4 month delay due to weather and stock issues.
    so theres roughly 60ish NQAS in the tank now.

Soon as I opened the bag and released them they all went straight to work eating algae which was amazing to watch.

I do think I will need to take a couple out and put them in the cube though, to clean the cube, to give the cube some life apart from plants and to reduce the number in this tank even if its only by small few
    60... wow. pretty sure it'll be hard to spot any algae next week!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualist View Post
    60... wow. pretty sure it'll be hard to spot any algae next week!
    ill have to get a pond on the balcony to produce algae

ill have to get a pond on the balcony to produce algae
    Just get a mulberry plant in a pot. They love mulberry.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast