Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agassizii Double Red

Default Agassizii Double Red

Hi guys,
    Its been a good year since my last pair of Apistogramma, so when I chanced upon a trio during my LFS trawl, I gladly picked them up. Female now guarding a whole cave of eggs in the ceiling, this is her about to feed. I pumped her with some live bbs and on day 3 she has eggs!

Nice job Interesting pattern on your female, havent seen agassizzi with the spot previously. Any pics of your other 2 ?

Good to see you still around
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

I am of course still around, just need some interesting sp to show up in Oz, I will try for some pics tonight Indir

Sorry folks about the tank - its a bit messy but the water chemistry suit these fish.

Looking good, the fry will love the food on within the algae and all those plants.

Do you have a 2nd cave for the female? It is best to have 1 extra cave (3 in your case) to prevent the sub dominant female being bullied and killed.

What species are you chasing?
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Cool

The smaller male - still brilliant in his color and has a way of staying well hidden and well-fed

The larger male

All were captured with an iPhone 6s so please bear with the detail, no Indir I haven't got spare caves in the 2 footer, just removed the 7 cardinal tetras to a seperate 2 footer. I just hope to get some fry off this pair for now, maybe some run of the mill Apistogramma like Borelii in the near future as they fair better in sydney water. They are very mild mannered fish and I do not think the smaller male will get killed or I may just transfer to my shrimp tank.
    Last edited by hengeli; 18-05-18 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Nice job Interesting pattern on your female, havent seen agassizzi with the spot previously. Any pics of your other 2 ?

Good to see you still around
    You mean the spot in the middle of the body? Females get that instead of the lateral stripe when they are in full breeding mode.

Indir is right , the female has the lateral stripe more of the time than the spot, I just managed to get lucky with the spot in the middle photo. Oh btw, we NEED to organise a drive to Orange to pick more fish up lol.

Hengeli, nice natural looking setup dude.

OT: ive seen these sold at my club auction on a monthly basis. Some are triple red. Any advantage to the double red over triple red? Or is it just a color morph for peraonal preference.

Thanks, I may be wrong but I don't think there is a triple red Agassizii, Double red refers to the full-red coloring on the caudal fin of the fish. Mine is probably a well-bred specimen as the head and body are not contorted or compressed. On a side note, are there LFS worth a visit in the ACT Rebel? On research of the Triple Red Agassizii, there is indeed that varient in Oz, what do ya know I have learnt something new...
    Last edited by hengeli; 19-05-18 at 01:04 PM.

Fish look nice, keep an eye on the non dominant male. He may get bullied, etc. But it sounds like you konw what your doing anyway

And yes i meant the spot, my understanding is that its not common for the lateral spot to appear when in breeding dress. I however am not a huge fan of agassizii so no questions if I am wrong about it haha.

@Hengeli + Rebel - The double/triple/quad red refers to how many fins have colour in them. IMO hengeli, yours are all triple reds. Double reds are fairly uncommon these days I believe, most will be triple reds. But really its just a marketing sales term anyway. More colour in fins = nicer fish IMO. Double red = 2 sets of fins i.e. dorsal and caudal fin, triple red = 3 sets of fins i.e dorsal, caudal, anal. And quad is all 4 sets of fins, etc. You get the point. The name really comes from years ago when we only got them in and not all were great quality with colour in all fins. Wilds usually do not have this much colouration for example, they are line bred for their colour. Like guppies, and so on And yes we have all 4 "morphs" of the red colour varient for cacatuoides and agassizii both.

Nice looking male.
    Whatever

Cool

Lunch for the wrigglers means a heck of a lotta bbs! I hope to get at least 20 adults from 30+ wrigglers, super stoked this female is such a great mum - she takes them on a tour of the tank at least twice a day, the males I have relocated to my 1 footer cube for now.

Nice one! What water params you said you keep them in?

Sorry mate, I have not one measuring tool on me, not one, I do use Amazonia as a gravel and that's all I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast