Thread: Back again

Default Back again

Hi everyone
    Been away from the forum for a while - life got in the way as it does.
    Everything has just had to coast for a bit - had major back surgery which has made maintenance & life a bit harder. Still got the 5ft, 4ft, 3ft & 2ft going. The 3.5ft decided to spring a major leak a few weeks ago - lucky the 4ft had been pulled down so I had something to throw everything into (after temporarily housing all overnight in a 100lt plastic container on wheels - godsend!) As usual when disaster strikes, the husband was away
    Still have 5 bowls & 3 small tanks with fighters - not breeding them at the moment because of the care required
    Still low light/heavily planted for all.
    Went to visit our new granddaughter a couple of weeks ago in WA. Helped my stepson set up a 2nd hand tank. As a thank you he bought me a Crinium from Aquotix (thank you to Aquotix for the help they gave him) Love the Crinium could be a new passion.
    Look forward to catching up with what you've all been up to & how your set ups are going. Good to see some familiar names still going strong on the forum too

Hiya Coolwall,

Welcome back!

Sorry to hear of the tank leak issues. I would absolutely flip if that happened even though I have quarantine tanks ready to go.

Agree that Crinum are so nice. I reckon we need to popularise them more. Even people with Gold fish could keep em!!!

Show us some pictures when you get a chance....

Thanks Rebel
    Good to see you're still here!
    First tank disaster I've had really (touch wood) was a 2nd hand tank but held together for 3yrs for me. Will have a go at re-sealing it when I've got the hubby home as I will need a 2nd pair of hands. If not, it will become another place to grow more plants........
    Will go & read your thread again as to how to upload photos. Don't have Flickr account yet.
    I think the only thing holding back Crinums is the $$$$ My step son paid $85.00 for mine from Aquotix in Perth. They had slightly larger ones for $95.00. I've seen them advertised for as much as $300.00 which is really off putting.
    I shipped it home to Qld in a plastic water bottle with no problems. It makes a great statement/feature plant.
    I shall now go & bone up on uploading pics.....
    P.S - duh! I changed my avatar.....that's the crinum in the pic.
    Last edited by CoolWall; 18-05-18 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolWall View Post
    P.S - duh! I changed my avatar.....that's the crinum in the pic.
    1. It's gorgeous plant! I had some many, many moons ago and loved watching it blow about in the flow from the spray bar.

2. How'd you get your pic so big? Mine is tiny
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVader View Post
    1. It's gorgeous plant! I had some many, many moons ago and loved watching it blow about in the flow from the spray bar.

2. How'd you get your pic so big? Mine is tiny
    FLUKED IT!
    It was a photo I took which was originally over 1mb. For a quick re-size I email it to myself & then save it. Probably an easier way but I cant seem to keep up with all the updates & different ways of saving photos & this works for me. I'm still a blonde under all the hair dye......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love that Pearl G , as Captain said ... and I quote myself now a fish I kept many moons ago.
    Well probably 30 years ago. Time I had a pair back in my life. Ahh how I miss a six foot tank, filled with goldfish, cos thatís what happened a long time ago before nature tanks.
    Last edited by slin1977; 18-05-18 at 05:28 PM.

The Pearls are rather sweet.
    Got 3 in there at the moment but they need to be re-homed to my 3ft as I've gone kinda nuts on little guys......Dwarf copper harlequin rasbora, Rasbora Maculata, Purple Harlequin Rasbora, Sparkling Gouramis, Ember Tetras, Pencil fish (adore these little beauties) & Diamond Tetras - which are going to be the big guys in the tank. There are also a few rogue guppies & cherry barbs which will also be re-homed to one of my ponds.
    I also have 4 L397's, 4 striped Khuli loaches & a couple of upside down catfish to give me something to look for when I'm bored. They were my nightmare to catch when the 3.5ft tank they were in sprung the leak. Those L397's can really move when they want
    Mind you I think the Diamond Tetras are probably more aggressive than the gouramis. I've caught them chasing the gouramis on occasion.