Thread: New tank setup options- Recommendations

Default New tank setup options- Recommendations

Gíday all,

Been a long time away from the hobby but am now finally getting back into it, so time to do it properly!

Grand plan is to create a long-term semi low maintenance island style scape. Below is what Im leaning towards equipment wise but am after peopleís opinions and recommendations to get it all right before I start, have searched through threads and read tons on the forum but still not 100% on the light and ferts. Plants to start off will be narrow leaf java fern, anubias nana/nana petite, various crypts, various moss.

Tank: 2x18x18 Fire Aqua (rimless, low iron glass).
    Co2: 2.6kg tank and all the usual gear to go with it. Not sure where Iíll be sourcing the gear from yet.
    Filter: Got both an Aquis 700 and an Astro 2208 already.
    Soil: Possibly ADA La Plata and ADA Amazonia normal.

Light: AI Prime HD led. - I know itís overkill for the plants I plan to use but love the ability to be able to turn down the intensity for now and increase later on if the plant list changes. Also able to tweak it while Iím away at work and fine tune settings without having to buy another stand alone controller. Is anyone currently running the prime and how have you found it?

Ferts: Due to being away at work a week at a time I plan on using an auto-doser pump to dose daily while away. After recommendations on an Ďall in oneí fert already available? As Iím not keen on mixing up batches.

Shoot away with thoughts on the light and any help in regards to auto-dosing ferts, keen to hear peopleís opinions.

Hiya,

Your setup is similar to mine and Pil on the forum. I have the exact tank and love it for a balance between value and quality. Pil has the Prime HD and loves it. For an island setup, the Prime may not suitable as the middle island will shadow most of the light but YMMV. Otherwise people seem to love the prime HD and I would really love to have one (or three) myself.

My thread is here.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...reams-60x45x45

There is no doubt that autodosing is the best for consistency. Your plants will love it. I also use autodoser as a top up unit as the open topped tanks can evaporate a bit depending on your room humidity.

If you are keen on a large amount of all-in-one solution, send me a PM and we can work something out...
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...tic-Fertiliser

Sounds like a decent plan, very similar to all the tanks I have now, slow growing plants FTW, trimming becomes a real chore, would be hard to keep faster growing plants working away.

I would skip adding any ADA amazonia, not needed for any ferns / anubias (crypts may benefit from amazonia) and will just break down over time and make a mess, also you will need to do daily / every second day water changes for the first month or so, could be a problem if you are not home to do this. I would just use gravel and / or Sand.

Light, perhaps save some money and look at the Make My LED Australia pendent lights. Perhaps not as controlable remotely, but really thats just a gimmick, im sure once you get the light set you probably will never tweak it.

Ferts, look at the Liverpool Creak Aquarium (LCA) all in one ferts, they are fairly strong, could probably get away with only dosing once a week with these kinds of plants.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 16-05-18 at 10:26 PM.

A cheap alternative for CO2 would be 3.5kg fire extinguishers which can be bought on gumtree for nothing

@rebel- Yeah was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the fire aqua for the cost, canít go wrong. Checked out Pilís thread after you mentioned, very nice unit! Will suss out ferts but will probably be in contact.

@colm- Low maintenance plants certainly make life easier and more enjoyable. Think I will scrap the Amazonia patch and just stick with the La Plata and just supplement with root tabs for the crypts. I looked at the MML pendant, but the boss is adament that it has to look pleasing to the eye, hence the practicality + asthetics of the prime is very appealing.

@LOD- I did look at that option, but for $159 for a brand new 2.6kg bottle which is swap and go it made life easier.
    Last edited by WetDreams; 17-05-18 at 09:58 PM.

And to throw a spanner in the works, I realised today that my Red Sea max 600d cabinet has started to sag in the middle. So looks like I’ll be spending my day tomorrow making a new cabinet before I can progress any further!
    Last edited by WetDreams; 17-05-18 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WetDreams View Post
    And to throw a spanner in the works, I realised today that my Red Sea max 600d cabinet has started to sag in the middle. So looks like I’ll be spending my day tomorrow making a new cabinet before I can progress any further!
    Rather than make a new one, why not fix the current one up?