Thread: Old newbie

Default Old newbie

Hi everyone.
    I have been a member of this site for 7 years but only just felt the need to start posting.
    I have been keeping aquaria for 10 years and recently moved to Tasmania where restrictions are high on most/all things.
    Back in Victoria I kept 7 tanks and gave it all up when I moved here as quarantine is strict .

My wife recently said 'Maybe we should get some fish but don't go silly like last time'
    Well I got an AR-850 because it doesn't leave much room to tinker. Yet I still have grandiose plans for this tank.

So let the fun begin....................

I'd say welcome but you've probably been here since May 2011 haha Glad you have a tank back up and running again! There is always room to tinker Look at petetheplantkillers posts about his AR850 (i think it was an 850 anyway) and you will see some inspiration for tinkering

Enjoy! and uhh i guess welcome too? Haha.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Hiya Welcome!

I had a 850 and its a good general purpose tank.

If you are going planted, be aware that the back doesnt get enough light as the filter compartment blocks it. The trickle filter surprisingly good for bio filtering but not so much for mechanical. Be aware that any water spillage on the cabinet will damage it. If you can, water proof paint or layer could improve longevity. Trying to catch fish can be difficult due to yhe bracket right down the middle.

Keen to see you how you progress.

Hiya,
    Yeah I can tell the back is lacking and that the mechanical filtration is not so good. I like the spray bar filter but I will probably replace it so I can run a canister filter as water movement is not very good. Looking at the light if I build a 45 degree reflector in the replacement filter box I can increase the light output. I do have the tank in front of a window and it does get 2 hours of direct sunlight every day. I have only slight algae on the back glass so far. I have to take the tank down in two weeks as I have a rental inspection. I will post some photos after I rescape it.

Sounds like a good plan. I am surprised that two hours of direct sunlight hasn't caused an algae bloom! Get some plants in there and they will love it.

Does your landlord have issues with fish tanks? Surely they can't say that, because you can just have a bucket full of water in your living room if you wished. Just call it a glass bucket.

Hi Rebel, I have lots of plants in there. I have some root tabs and just started dosing flourish and excel. I will use excel until my DIY kit comes from China. I won't be using a diffuser but rather feeding the CO2 into the last chamber on the overhead filter. I anticipate that most CO2 will just sit on the water surface.

Yeah it is in my rental agreement as the owners specifically said no animals at all. Not birds, fish or anything. I did have a praying mantis for a bit.

Thats great to hear! Your plants will really take off with the CO2.

I just finished reading your AR-850 thread. Very nice Rebel. I am using the built in lights as I got the tubes cheap (They are on clearance in most stores) so I will hold off upgrading the lights for now.
    I am only going low tech for now. I am having trouble getting decent plants down here in Tassie. I need to find some driftwood soon and some river stones. I am also still waiting for some fish stock which is taking longer than anticipated.

Default New AR-850

I have moved from Tassie to QLD. Here is my new Biotope from Calliope river. Gotta find a way to upload pics.

Last edited by Omnius; 11-07-19 at 11:28 PM.