Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Sydney native stuff.

If its tidal its probably salt water - the right places are anything thats not national parks
    Chris -my tank

Which in Sydney, would appear to be nowhere unfortunately.

https://imgur.com/a/qjKy00O

Better photos of the shrimp, and a spot where a native Fissidens is found growing submersed in abundance. There's also Potamogeton but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVader View Post
    Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does water line = tide line? So at high tide, everything is below the water line and I can help myself? At low tide only submerged stuff is okay to take?
    Unsure. Collection from sea etc may have different rules.

loop hole

Quote Originally Posted by Kennett View Post
    I'm in Campbelltown. Have mostly been searching local. I'm usually expecting to find nothing haha. I have thought about checking out Macquarie Pass, somewhere near Minamurra etc so I would be keen man.
    I'm in the same location as yourself. I caught heaps of smelt at menangle. Cool little fish. If you want more info let me know. I help at a local aquarium shop as well.

O BTW use Vegemite on day old bread in bait traps. I tested this using 2 traps. One with fish food and plain bread, the other with Vegemite on bread. No contest, Vegemite won hands down
    Last edited by jmarcf; 02-10-18 at 11:21 AM.

I know Menangle has some interesting stuff, haven't been looking out for much other than shrimp due to only having a net.
    Trying to find more moss that may grow submerged, or more interesting shrimp. I dearly wish there were Caridina spp. found around Sydney..

I've got some good gudgeons near Campbelltown on the Napean river, also heaps of smelt.

Menangle was the first place I went with the NSW Aquarium Society when I was a kid. There was a weir that had a simple waterfall and I spent many days there collecting things that would live in my tanks.

That same spot was where I first found smelt, but didn't know what they were at the time. There are many, many gudgeons getting about at night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12