Thread: Fish medication active ingredients

Default Fish medication active ingredients

Hi guys my sister-in-law just gave me a couple of bottles of fish medication (for ich according to the label) with the following active ingredients :

1. Tetramethyl Para Amino Triphenyl
    and
    2. Carbinol Methyl Thionine Chloride

Now the second one is fancy name for Methylene blue (thanks google) but the first one I'm not sure what is. Anybody has any information on it? Thx
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Riz

cant find it on google but the other links with most of those words related to an organophosphate but no common names, only chemicals so it would appear to be man made..

If your fish have ich, you can raise the temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks. That usually kills the little blighter parasites

From what i can find on google (searching parts of the name...), number 1 appears to be malachite green maybe? That scientific name appears to bring up ich and velvet med for fish.

Googling the 2nd brings up an Indonesian version of meth blue? Apparently a little more potent than standard? From the post i found (literally only 1 person...):
    " very similar type of m.blue with something in there that i can't find what's the purpose. Carbinol methyl thionine chloride, tetramethyl para amino triphenyl. However, I believe this is the new formula of m.blue which has higher potency."

Not sure if im supposed to post a link but hey, here is an archived link from another forum which i foudn the above.
    http://www.bettaclub.org/forum/archi...php/t-625.html
    Last edited by indir; 25-04-18 at 07:23 PM.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

that should probably read
    1. Tetramethyl Para Amino Triphenyl Carbinol
    and
    2. Methyl Thionine Chloride
    the names are not really the proper chemical names but close enough and almost certainly are malachite green and methylene blue - standard ingredients for most ick treatments

Good to see you still around oh master regani
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

not too much fish keeping going on at the moment, so just lurking mostly
    but who could resist a chemistry question?

Quote Originally Posted by regani View Post
    that should probably read
    1. Tetramethyl Para Amino Triphenyl Carbinol
    and
    2. Methyl Thionine Chloride
    the names are not really the proper chemical names but close enough and almost certainly are malachite green and methylene blue - standard ingredients for most ick treatments
    Thank you very much. It doesn't help that the label printed the ingredients together in one long sentence without any punctuations haha
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Riz