Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert Home - 45p

Default Desert Home - 45p

Hi guys, thought I would start a journal for my latest plan, a tank for a few Australian Desert Goby's. Just the planning stage at this time, would love any advice from anyone with experience with these fish. The plan is to have the tank slightly brackish, which I know nothing about at the moment! I enjoy researching and discovering new aspects of this hobby with each new tank / aquascape.

Tank - Fire Aqua 45p
    Filter - ISTA External Mini Canister
    Light - 45cm Chihiros A-Series Plus
    Co2 - Probably not needed, may use at the start to establish the plants.
    Heater - When needed Aquael Easyheater, tank will be outdoors, heater will probably be needed over winter.

Subsrate - Sand
    Rocks - Purple Lava stone
    Plants - Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

I have a pretty clear vision for the layout, lava stone stacked to form a few caves for the Goby's, on a nice bed of sand. Lilaeopsis will be grown high on the rocks, some should be emersed.

Keen to see your design for this. Will you follow a strict biotope concept? If so, make sure you submit to AGA biotope category.

Hair grass on rocks. That sounds really cool.

Cheers, looking forward to setting it up, current scape in this tank grows way to fast sick of trimming, won’t be a biotope, competitions are not for me

I kept and bred these guys for a while
    You wont need any salt
    They are tough as anything and eat anything as well
    Love live black worms
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I kept and bred these guys for a while
    You wont need any salt
    They are tough as anything and eat anything as well
    Love live black worms
    Oh good stuff! Thanks for the tips Graeme, I need to get onto live blackworms, I have started culturing micro worms, good for my tiny micro fish but they are too small for bigger fish. Cant say I have seen desert gobys in any store around Perth, going to need to keep my eyes out for them.

I got a tip off couple of weeks ago aquatix had them in but didn't make it down to see
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

I got a tip off couple of weeks ago aquatix had them in but didn't make it down to see
    Interesting, I was there a few weeks ago and they did have a few small gobys in a tank, marked sold/hold. Was probably them! Tank wont be set up for a month or so, need to keep my eyes peeled, otherwise perhaps other small gobys could be an option but AU Desert Gobys seem ideal being tough little guys and non fussy eaters.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 26-04-18 at 10:04 AM.

Pretty sure I saw some at Aquotix today

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    Cheers Tim, I will probably head there this weekend to get some Sewellia lineolata for my river tank, the rocks / glass seems to be getting a nice covering of diatoms, will have to look for the Gobys while I am there, tho the tank wont be ready for a few weeks, still need to break down the current scape

Was at Aquotix on the weekend and they had a tank full of these little Desert Gobys such cute little fish, bouncing around on the substrate, I need to get onto setting up this tank, hopefully this weekend!

Looking forward to your design! Biotopes meets Aquascapes! [ Could be the name of your new book? ]

Got around to working with the lava rock today, got the structure finished had to stick a few bits together with Selleys Knead It aqua... tho I didnt think and got it all over the rocks when holding them together (kead it was on my gloves) you can see the white adhiesive on the face of the rocks, owell! I am happy with the outcome, lots of caves for the goby's, was at aquotix canningvale today and they only had 2 goby's left.

Hopefully empty out my 45p next weekend and get this set up!

There was a guy in Perth on Gumtree
    3 desert gobies for $10 !!

( https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/medi...ish/1188500210 )

Lava rock is pretty soft so should be able to scrape of the surface layer to get rid off the white residue.

There was a guy in Perth on Gumtree
    3 desert gobies for $10 !!

( https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/medi...ish/1188500210 )
    Cheers Graeme!

Lava rock is pretty soft so should be able to scrape of the surface layer to get rid off the white residue.
    Yah I did think about taking a wirebrush to the rocks, Im sure I can remove some but would probably chip/wear away some of the lave stone also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast