Thread: Fish ID - Kosciuszko National Park

Default Fish ID - Kosciuszko National Park

Hi Team,

I was walking at Mt. Kosciuszko in Jan this year and saw some interesting fish in the Snowy River (Around 2000mt elevation, start of Snowy River).

I couldn't get a clear photo of the fish but sort of got a video:
    https://youtu.be/rYeMwliPfzg

Does anyone know what sort of fish this could be? I was surprised to see fish at such a high elevation as the water would be literally freezing in winter - how do they survive?
    It would be awesome to see if I these guys could be legally caught or purchased from a shop, a great winter pond fish for Melbourne. I'll be back walking at the same place again in winter so I can check on them again then.

Cheers!

Galaxias of some type. They live in the southern half of Australia and New Zealand and are fine in cold water or warm water and grow to about 6 inches. They are streamlined and designed for moving through fast flowing water. They make really interesting aquarium inhabitants and are usually very easy to care for. Unfortunately very few have been bred in captivity. Some like Galaxias maculatus, have a marine larval stage, whereas others like G. occidentalis are purely freshwater.

The only species I have seen for sale is G. maculatus and they are usually contaminated with all sorts of nasties from the wholesaler and retailer. I say nasties because Galaxias have not been exposed to most aquarium fish diseases and suffer great losses when they contract a common fish disease from imported aquarium fishes. Galaxias are scaleless fishes and need to be treated carefully if they get sick. Use medications designed for Corydoras and other scaleless fishes. Or use salt. They tolerate salt very well and it is a much safer option than most medications.

In some states you use to be able to collect native fishes for your home aquarium. They normally have bag limits of 10-20 of each species but you need to check your state requirements to find out if and how many you can take. Contact your local department of fisheries or visit their website.

If you are interested in Galaxias and other native fishes, you can contact your local ANGFA branch (there is one in Victoria) and they have lots of info on the care and keeping of these fishes.

ANGFA is short for Australian New Guinea Fishes Association, and is an organisation setup by aquarists/ hobbyists 20+ years ago to learn about and save native fishes.
    https://www.angfa.org.au/
    Last edited by Colin_T; 17-04-18 at 02:07 PM.