Thread: Strange Co2 problem

Default Strange Co2 problem

Hey guys,

Just set up a new CO2 system on my little planted tank... When I adjust my regulator the bubbles per second is either off, or at one rate no matter how much I adjust the dial.

So... I figured, lets test every link in the chain so to speak.... So I got a bucket of water, and check the bottle to the regulator through some co2 tubing in to the bucket.... bubble rate increases when I want it to.... then, I added the solenoid, checked the bubble rate in the bucket, increases when I want it to, then I added the check value, again tested, again increased, then the bubble counter, again increased, and finally the diffuser again increased. GREAT!

Then, I leave everything connected, put the diffuser in the tank... AND.... same problem, bubble rate will not change!! I can't understand it, any idea?

My CO2 bottle, and solenoid just in the cabinet below, I've no idea why this might be, let me know if theres any more info you need to help me? I'm thinking its going to be something really basic, but i've not a clue!! Could it be the length of tubing? But then, it worked fine, or like gravity as its now going up?!

Help please!

Thanks
    John

Hey John,
    It can sometimes take a few minutes for the bubble rate to stabilise. Don't count the initial rate because it can be slower than the normal rate. The usual issues are in the check valves and clogged diffusers. Otherwise the needle valve may be of poor quality although doesn't explain your reported inconsistency.

How long is the CO2 line?
    Can you post a picture of your setup showing the brands etc?

Hey mate,

Pics below - this is the first time I've had a reg and solenoid separate, so, I dont know how much tubing inbetween? Does it matter?

The reg and bottle is in the cabinet, I used to have the solenoid in the also but now its just resting on the back on the cabinet, then the check valve, bubble counter and diffuser - everything is brand new so there shouldnt be any blockages......

Thoughts?

Your reg seems to be a single stage - non adjustable working pressure.

Minimise that line between the reg and the diffuser if possible.

You need to consider a better stainless steel check valve. Those ones are notoriously bad IME.

Lastly, it may well be difficult to adjust the bubble rate using that needle valve. Needles valves are often the weak point in some of these systems. Better ones cost a little more but this sort of thing might be enough
    https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/neu...ve-p-5569.html

When you make a change, observe for about 30 minutes until it stabilises.
    Last edited by Rebel; 17-04-18 at 12:10 PM.

Cool thanks - I'll have a play around later and see what I can come up with!