Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature/heater controllers

Default Temperature/heater controllers

Hi gang.

After a minor scare, I looked at devices that cut off power to the heater if the temp raises above a certain temperature. Heater controllers seem to be the way to go. Did a search here, but not much info. Does anyone here have any experience with the Fluval or Inkbird (or any other for that matter) controllers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

STC-1000 cheapest option, used alot by marine folk. Heaps of tutorials if you search it up. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    STC-1000 cheapest option, used alot by marine folk. Heaps of tutorials if you search it up. Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for a plug and play solution.

I will look into it though.

If your not keen on the STC-1000 DIY than check ebay for temp controllers, usually they are targeted at reptiles. But there is a few with heat and cool control there.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    If your not keen on the STC-1000 DIY than check ebay for temp controllers, usually they are targeted at reptiles. But there is a few with heat and cool control there.
    Yeah, I've checked a few out. Was hoping someone here has had direct experience with them and could recommend or warn against certain models.

I've used one of the ones from ebay, white one with multi plug support. But it was only for cooling, i'm not sure if it worked for heating. It was decent, was used for about a year or so.

Looked similar to this one:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Aquar...UAAOSwFmxaZX0V
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

I had intended to use one of these but never got around the getting one.

If your livestock is expensive like Discus etc, then I would go for a branded one in this case. Just don't want any trouble. Get a solid heater as well; Eheim or Aquaone etc rather than ebay numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I had intended to use one of these but never got around the getting one.

If your livestock is expensive like Discus etc, then I would go for a branded one in this case. Just don't want any trouble. Get a solid heater as well; Eheim or Aquaone etc rather than ebay numbers.
    Yeah, I have discus and I have two Eheim Jager 250W heaters. One of them sometimes stays on for a while. I panicked on a couple of occasions and unplugged it. It started working as normal. Today I decided to leave it on and see what happens. Temp hovers around the 29.5 C mark. Went up to 30.1. Asked my daughter to check it earlier today and she said the light was off and the temp was 29.8.

Anyway, what I was actually looking for was a cutoff switch once the temp reaches 30 C for example. Looking at what's available, it's the actual controllers that control the heaters and I should set my heaters to a degree or two above that.

Seems to me to defeat the purpose, but that's how people are doing it.

I would set the heaters to 30 (desired) and controller to cut off at 31 to prevent overheating from a heater malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I would set the heaters to 30 (desired) and controller to cut off at 31 to prevent overheating from a heater malfunction.
    That's the thing, you can't. That's exactly how I thought it would work, but it's the opposite. The contacts in the Eheim heaters need to be closed to turn the current on and for that to happen, the heater needs to be set to 31 (contacts closed or on) and the controller set to 30 (power on). That way, the controller will regulate power to maintain a 30 degree temperature throughout the tank. If the heater was set to 30 and the controller to 31, the heater will be controlling the temperature and not the controller.

I guess if the heater was to malfunction and the contacts stick on, then the controller would turn power off and stop the temp climbing. The only issue I can think of there is the controller turns power on/off to maintain a very specific temperature with a deviation of only a couple of degrees from what I understand. So if the temp was set to 30 on the heater and 31 on the controller and the actual temp dropped to 29.9, the controller can only function from 30 to 32 (being set to 31) and then nothing will be functioning.

This is all based on the online instructional vids I've been watching. Still researching.

I see. So that way the controller but not the heater thermostat is controlling the temperature. I suppose that would be fine also? Both have to fail for you to get into trouble. I think that's good redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    Yeah, I've checked a few out. Was hoping someone here has had direct experience with them and could recommend or warn against certain models.
    Hi mate, I have been using the 'plug and play' ones from eBay for ages with no issue. I have about 8 of them for multiple tanks, all running with 150W to 300W eheim heaters when I was breeding discus. I also have one for 'cooling' to cut off the chiller for my shrimp tank if the chiller decides to freeze the tank.

i just ordered 3 of those STC-1000's the other day. im just gonna buy a cheap/short extension cable from bunnings and cut/install that to turn it into a plug and play one. rather than cutting the cord on my heaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Joller View Post
    i just ordered 3 of those STC-1000's the other day. im just gonna buy a cheap/short extension cable from bunnings and cut/install that to turn it into a plug and play one. rather than cutting the cord on my heaters.
    This is what I did with my STC-1000. I attached one extension cable for my heater, one for my peltier cooler. Works really well!

Find a case for it to hide all the cables.

Hey Lord, show us ya Peltier design....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast