Thread: Hygrophila pinnatifida - Trimming tips

Default Hygrophila pinnatifida - Trimming tips

Hi guys, I'm trying to give my hygro the look of the pictures below, but I was wondering if you guys had good results making this plant look like that and if you had any tips?

Right now mine it's growing tall really fast and with long leaves. I guess I'd have to trim very low on the nodes? Always on the same node? Maybe a stronger light will make the plant grow smaller leaves (maybe..)?

A picture of mine before trimming:

And after (I wouldn't mind getting that intense dark red colour either ):

Cheers,
    Dan
    Last edited by DDM; 08-03-18 at 05:02 PM.

Stronger light and lots of nutrients will help, along with the pruning you mentioned. What kind of light, CO2 and ferts do you use? How far is the light from the substrate?

Some of that red is due to lighting and creative use of photoshop. Some of its potentially due to lower N concentrations. Ime you can just keep trimming aggressively and it becomes mote bushy even in very low light. Higher light may help as mine near the top of thetank is slightly better orange than elsewhere.

Thank guys! I'll try answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    Stronger light and lots of nutrients will help, along with the pruning you mentioned. What kind of light, CO2 and ferts do you use? How far is the light from the substrate?
    Light: Chihiros A series Plus (A601). Specs here: https://www.hinterfeld.com.au/produc...uper-led-light
    Running at level 3 out of 7.

CO2: Professional. Drop checker is slightly green, so I just measured Ph(6.8) and Kh (9) = I'm running low on CO2. I've now increased it. Hopefully tomorrow will be higher.

Ferts: All-in-one ferts (description: https://www.liverpoolcreekaquariums...._Safe_%29.html). I'm not dosing much, about 6ml/week-> 2ml every couple of days, 50% water change/week.
    I'm trying to figure it out how much I'm missing...recommended dose is 6ml 3 times a week, but when I did that I had an algae boom, so I decided to reduce the dose and start slow (algae is now gone).

The hygro are half way in the tank, about 40cm from the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel
    Some of that red is due to lighting and creative use of photoshop. Some of its potentially due to lower N concentrations. Ime you can just keep trimming aggressively and it becomes mote bushy even in very low light. Higher light may help as mine near the top of thetank is slightly better orange than elsewhere.
    I just realised I posted the same photo, but one of them has been photoshoped to the max...that's how different it looked hah! I've replaced it with another one of the same tank.

Keep replanting the tops! I tried h. pinnatifida once but didnt really have much success, mine was all full of pin holes so at least you dont have that problem, interestingly when I raised the light I got some side shoots, tho maybe it was just the change of conditions that changed it mode of growth, I read it needs high light to start creeping / send out side shoots