Thread: Hi everyone from Mulgrave Vic

Default Hi everyone from Mulgrave Vic

Hi

Finally got back into aquariums after a 15+ year break, Scored a 4 foot tank and a fluval 406 canister filter which was working but after cleaning and replacing the media it has developed a minor trickle down one side where the clips connect. have checked for grit and cleaned as best I can and still trickle persists. There are no obvious signs of damage to the casing, purchased a new O-Ring and problem still persists. Does anyone have any suggestions. Don't want to dump the filter as it was very efficient before the leak started.
    Also have a CF-1500U which I can use but it's noisy so fixing the issue on the 406 would be the preferred option.

Kind Regards
    Unimatrix013

hi and welcome to the forum

did you get the correct o-ring for the filter?

if the case and motor unit is clean, and it has the correct o-ring, it should not leak. Having said that, I never liked the new square/ rectangular fluvals. I like the old round ones Had a few issues with "funny" o-rings on the square fluvals. Maybe take the filter and o-ring back to the shop and try another o-ring, you might have a bad one.

Could you try some vaseline or grease for the o ring?

Welcome btw!

Sorry, I should have clarified, The Filter was in use in a friends place in an Oscar tank until the tank cracked and the fish was relocated to a tank with a different filter, The fluval sat unused for several weeks until I was offered it, after opening it and cleaning I noticed the trickle, my first thought was the O-Ring so I ordered a genuine (apparently) fluval part online. Problem has persisted.

Hi

I've tried grease, no success., it's strange because the trickle only starts after about 5 min use, but then it's constant until it's switched off, then it slowly stops

Quote Originally Posted by Unimatrix013 View Post
    it's strange because the trickle only starts after about 5 min use, but then it's constant until it's switched off, then it slowly stops
    It sounds like there is a hairline crack in the basket. Under the water pressure the crack becomes wider and the trickle starts.

Update:
    There is a notch for the power cord, so you cannot rotate the basket and check if the trickle remains on the same side. Tho you can use a torch and thoroughly inspect the basket when the filter is running.
    Last edited by Neon Tetra; 06-03-18 at 09:55 AM.

Neon_tetra, Could a hairline crack be repaired with careful application and filling of silicone?

welcome mate..

i had the exact same issue with my Eheim 2228, not sure how they compare apart from both being rectangular.

My issue was due to the pump head (located on top of the canister) not sealing 100% with the body. Mine also would not leak when i turned it on but would do so after a few mins. I think this is because you dont have a good seal between the top (which i am assuming is the pump) and the canister body, and once pressure buids and gets to a certain point it will leak from the weak point.

First thing is to do the usual checks. You have a new o-ring, now try putting vaso around the o-ring to create a good seal. Also check the baskets in the canister are all seated 100%, a tiny gap here may cause the head to not seat correctly.

In the end my issue was due to a broken Ehiem locking clamp, one of the curved bits in this pic was broken . This is where my hoses from the tank connected to the pump head (top of canister). The broken item still closed but it didnt create a complete seal between the head and canister body. Once this was replaced it fixed my issue completely.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7343100-E...item41c82fa46d

if the case and everything checks out, going out on a limb and suggest you check the hoses and make sure they are secure. Unlikely to be them but you never know.

Hi Everyone, thanks for the welcome and all the troubleshooting tips, I'm going to spend Saturday taking it apart and following all the tips given and see what happens. If it still leaks I'll see if I can find and aquarium store that can give it the once over.

Thanks again
    Unimatrix013