Thread: Is anyone using Pete the plant killers diy co2 reactor

Default Is anyone using Pete the plant killers diy co2 reactor

Hey Guys,
    Can you please post if you using a diy co2 reactor the same as Pete the plant killer made. I need some help on my reactor that i have made.

Cheers Axl

I will try and post a picture of mine. I cut it shorter to fit the new cabinet (early 2017) and since then, hasn't been very effective since I replaced my pump recently. I think making reactors at the right size is a bit finicky in some cases. Too much flow can be troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I will try and post a picture of mine. I cut it shorter to fit the new cabinet (early 2017) and since then, hasn't been very effective since I replaced my pump recently. I think making reactors at the right size is a bit finicky in some cases. Too much flow can be troublesome.
    How tall is the reactor now? Would be interested to see your setup. I'm using just an off the shelf Ista Max Mix with the propellor removed, even with quite high CO2 in my 300L setup the reactor seems to do fine, although some bubbles do make it into the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    How tall is the reactor now? Would be interested to see your setup. I'm using just an off the shelf Ista Max Mix with the propellor removed, even with quite high CO2 in my 300L setup the reactor seems to do fine, although some bubbles do make it into the tank.
    Will double check.

I have a feeling that the rotational ones perform better. I may consider a mix-max for mine depending on how I go. I have heard of issues with leaks which would drive me batty. Also it seems to be 13mm?? I am on 16/22 hose.
    Last edited by Rebel; 05-03-18 at 08:37 AM.

This one here is similar to my design but I like the transparent design here better.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium...EAAOSwhqhaKirh

Will double check.

I have a feeling that the rotational ones perform better. I may consider a mix-max for mine depending on how I go. I have heard of issues with leaks which would drive me batty. Also it seems to be 13mm?? I am on 16/22 hose.
    Yes leaks are a problem, they are very poorly assembled. My first one leaked badly, my second one was ok. I feel like you could easily just seal it up with silicone or plumbing tape depending on how well you plan to clean it, if at all.

I use 16/22 hose too, the reactor comes with a reducer. So I run 16/22 from the filter into the reactor with a reducer and then switch to 12/16mm for the outlet with no reducer.

Very interesting sweefu, poor assembly would probably annoy me although I think I am confident to fix if required. I may consider throwing some cash at one of these (maybe a water filter version that Mundi posted) after selling my plants perhaps. I already have a large rex griggs reactor (and another 13mm Cerges for nano tank, several ISTA copies of the Sera reactor, at least 3 of the green internal reactors, 4 diffusers etc) at home and feel annoyed of my hoarding.

Will double check.

hi Rebel, i got this (the 1000) from PiL's recommendation https://www.sera.de/en/product/sera-...ktor-500-1000/

I also have 16/22mm hose and can confirm this works beautifully, no leaks at all

@Mr Krabs, I may consider that one....I am managing ok with mine atm perhaps I will just extend it to be a little bigger.

I think that Sera unit would be perfect. I cheaped out and got the Ista which is a similar design, just poorly executed/manufactured. But it can be had on sale for about $20!

looks like a good canister and clear, still need to DIY and spend a little more to get it to work or for $40 more you just plug n play https://www.ebay.com.au/p/sera-Flore...ums/1208197824

True @Mr Krabs.