Thread: New Co2 system on my 1600ltr tank

Default New Co2 system on my 1600ltr tank

Hey Guys,
    here what has happened so far i have just a diy reactor that his running of a 1200ltr pump straight back into my sump. My ph was 7.1 at 2.00pm this arvo when the co2 started. Then i have just re tested the ph and it is still on ph 7.1 and I'm trying 1.5 bps at the moment. There is no tinny bubbles coming out of the reactor and i want to know why isn't my ph dropping. All the discus are normal at the moment. I dont understand what going on and i have got the co2 going into the main tank via 2 return lines and 3 wave makers through out the tank. Any help would be appreciated. Also im trying a medium amount of co2 into the tank to help with my low light plants and help with the BBA.

Cheers Axl

If lights are on the plants are using it as fast as you inject it. Have it come on three hours before lights on and check at lights on. Bubble rate probably isn't high enough either. I can't count mine on my 5x2x2. Best bet on large tanks is a ph controller. Easier to keep it at a constant level than the highs and lows of timer based injection

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    If lights are on the plants are using it as fast as you inject it. Have it come on three hours before lights on and check at lights on. Bubble rate probably isn't high enough either. I can't count mine on my 5x2x2. Best bet on large tanks is a ph controller. Easier to keep it at a constant level than the highs and lows of timer based injection
    Hey,
    the ph did not change after being on for 6 hours and increased the bps for the last 3 hours. It didnt move of ph 7.1 so i have to work out why this is happening. Have you got discus in your tank? They are the main focus in the tank and i don't want to kill them with overdosing.

https://flic.kr/p/GAnVaE

This might be causing the co2 to degas in the sump so i have fixed this by adding more water to the sump. Hopefully this will help and i will slowly increase the bps until i get the ph to drop slowly.

Good thought. Otherwise you can seal that compartment also.

Be careful with the water levels in the sump. Don't want a flood if the power goes out

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    Be careful with the water levels in the sump. Don't want a flood if the power goes out
    Yean no worries mate that can't happen as I have got syphon break in the return lines if the power goes out. The wife would kill me if I drained 1600ltr onto the carpet of our new house.

Hey Guys,
    Here is what my bubble counter is runnnig at today. I’m still not getting much ph down only 7.4 to 7.2 right now. The kh is 4 and have slowly been adding that daily. This is pushing up the ph as well but i have ordered some sonic product that increases hardiness and not affect ph. I hav got a ph controller coming as well so i can really crank up the co2 and not have to worry about the co2 levels. The co2 drop checker is still a light blue colour but not green. Do you reckon the ph will come down? Whats everyone thoughts please.

https://flic.kr/p/GGPmXq

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Here is what my bubble counter is runnnig at today. I’m still not getting much ph down only 7.4 to 7.2 right now. The kh is 4 and have slowly been adding that daily. This is pushing up the ph as well but i have ordered some sonic product that increases hardiness and not affect ph. I hav got a ph controller coming as well so i can really crank up the co2 and not have to worry about the co2 levels. The co2 drop checker is still a light blue colour but not green. Do you reckon the ph will come down? Whats everyone thoughts please.

https://flic.kr/p/GGPmXq
    What kind of diffuser are you using? Maybe the CO2 is not being disolved well.

If it was me I would just keep cranking it over the period of a few weeks.

Using a diy reactor that is similiar to the Cerges and has be proven on all size tanks. You can see the reactor in my first post see what you reckon. The pump is a 1200ltr directly into the sump i know I’m losing some co2 in the sump but not sure what to think.

Hi Tim sounds like you have too much carbonate buffering in that big tank or maybe in your sump. Get some low impact acid buffer like Sodium Citrate (costs about $8/kg) and get the tank down to your target pH with that initially. You are putting in a tiny bit of CO2 and the tank pH is laughing at you cos the carbonic is being buffered away and going to dissolution. Mate I agree with the others a pH controller is almost a must if you want to hold that huge tank acidic. Spend the money and get a top shelf pH controller like a Weipro 2010 (more than 350,000 sold to date) and your pH blues will be gone. Foremost get the tank buffered to slightly acidic (say 6.6-6.7) with citrate. You may have a strong alkali buffer present in the system which needs to be countered. :-) Colin