Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bucephalandra ID and Photo Share Thread

Don't stress about asking too many questions!

Question #1:
    These ones were being grown up until very recently emersed in pots in an an aquarium with the lids on to keep in the humidity. The heated water was a few centimetres below the soil level of the pots. When the plants were initially planted they were planted on some stainless steel mesh with their roots pulled through the holes - this was to stop the roots pulling the rhizome into the soil.

Question #2:
    There is nothing really to transitioning. Make sure you start with some robust plants to begin with and that the plant is healthy and has a rhizome large enough to get it through the worst-case scenario of 3-4 months of not being able to photosynthesise in case it dies back. If they have long roots, make sure they're constantly wet. I'd personally recommend planting into a soil which is pretty inert, something like sand had worked well for me early on.

Question #3, #4 and #5:
    I used the general crypt mix that I call "C1a". It's a mix of 50% sand and 50% sphagnum peat (TPM) with an addition of 1 teaspoon per litre of dolomite and 1 teaspoon per litre of krasnozem soil (similar to laterite). I believe each pot may have had half of an Osmocote for Watergardens tab also, but I can't remember. The pH of these mixes would have been initially about 6.0 but rises very slowly. The lighting is two hydroponics T8 tubes, I'll need to get the info about them.

Question #6:
    Up until recently the plants were being "misted" by an air stone so the mist would have been 24/7. I've found that mist was probably more of a hindrance than a help as it spread algae all over the surface of the pots. It also occasionally found its way onto the leaves of plants, and I can only assume decreased the leaf area which would have been able to photosynthesise. If keeping plants in a humid tank like I was I think misting is not needed. However, my B. kishii outside in the greenhouse where it is much warmer will definitely need to be misted or it'll probably wilt in the heat.

Hopefully this helps a bit. If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 27-09-18 at 09:47 AM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Crypto, thanks for great info!

Now where are those pics?

Whats the maximum temperature they may tolerate over summer? I am considering an emersed box of buce this summer but nervous because my shed goes up to 38 or more at times.

Hey Rebel, thanks for that. Old pics are all I can do for now... these were taken back in April. You can see how I'm talking about the mist causing the algae.

The temp in the greenhouse may get up to about 40-50C in the summer. As long as the leaves are kept misted and constantly wet the plants should be fine. Misting off of a balance arm would be ideal to achieve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocorynus View Post
    Don't stress about asking too many questions! ... If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.
    Thank you for such a thorough response!

No worries, Dmitry. Don't ever stress about asking too many questions. If you want me to go into more detail about anything and feel as though if you ask here you'll clog the thread unnecessarily, just send me a PM.

Are you in it purely for conservation, or do you sells these beauties as well?

As of now I've only sold two stems in total. Mostly conservation-orientated, at least for the moment. I'm hoping to grow emersed and then transition and sell for a reasonable price. There is no reason apart from a smugglers risk/postage cost that the majority of these plants should be expensive. I will be selling eventually though, might still be a few months off. The emersed plants may even have some demand with all the interest in terrariums and Biopods recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocorynus View Post
    As of now I've only sold two stems in total. Mostly conservation-orientated, at least for the moment. I'm hoping to grow emersed and then transition and sell for a reasonable price. There is no reason apart from a smugglers risk/postage cost that the majority of these plants should be expensive. I will be selling eventually though, might still be a few months off. The emersed plants may even have some demand with all the interest in terrariums and Biopods recently.
    When you finally transition them to submersed, I'd be very interested. Keep us informed please.

Here are a few photos of the setup as it currently is...

This is most of the named stuff (there is still kishii, "Mini Coin", "Variegated", etc. in other tanks and hidden around the place). All of this has been uprooted and repotted quite recently so that is why the plants may be looking a bit worse for wear.

The "buce tank", currently housing the non-line plants.

B. sp. "Brownie Blue" and "Red Scorpio".

More non-line plants: "Alexis", "Brownie Ghost", "Helena Round Leaf", and another pot of "Brownie Blue".

The other side of the tank is being used for Anubias mainly. Lots of neglected "Pinto" was moved into here for some TLC.

Some of the line plants: "Red Scorpio", "Brownie Blue", "Brownie Ghost" and "Helena Round Leaf".

Lush B. sp. "Brownie Blue".

Bagged B. sp. "Alexis".

And a few other bits and pieces (not even half of what's left!). Most of this has been bought in the last month so it has all been bleached and is in quarantine for the time being:

B. sp. "Pearl Grey" (assumed to be B. akantha), B. sp. "Melawi" (assumed to be B. sordidula) and B. sp. "Brownie Ghost 2012" on the left, mixed buce on the right.

Mixes Bucephalandra sp. - will be fun working out all these species!

And even more mixed, unidentified nightmare buce.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 06-09-18 at 10:40 AM.

Crypto, thanks for this great update!

Am I correct to assume this is done indoors with a hydroponic like light setup? Will you move this to your green house?

No worries, Rebel. And yes, this is all just inside. The temps out in the greenhouse vary way too much for buce to grow well. If I was to grow outside I'd probably do it in the shadehouse, just in a tray of heated water with a shroud over the tray. Will I ever move everything outside? Hard to know. Maybe I will attempt it at some stage with some really established, leathery plants and see how they fare, but until then probably not.

Most of the stuff grown in containers is in a setup like this.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 19-09-18 at 06:25 AM.

One more species was published last night (1st Oct.) to bring the total number of species to 31: Bucephalandra danumensis. The species list has been updated to reflect this.

Heaps of buce melt recently due to fungus. I may have lost about 50% of the plants. Hopefully will be able to ressurect some, though. There is a bleach and transplanting in store for whatever is still alive to hopefully curb this fungus issue.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 02-10-18 at 07:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12