Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frozen fish food

Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    I've never come across this in my research, but I'll certainly look into it. Thanks for the info.
    I've had this happen a few times because I feed the blood worms once a week. The endlers go bananas for it and sometimes some can die of over eating (I assumed).

Rebel, maybe this site can help.

http://www.oscarfish.com/5-star-foods.html

I found it very interesting the way they rate the food.
    I have read some of the NLS ones but will read the others as well.

Fascinating. I wonder where the 'gold standard' came from. It's good to try and rate the food to an extent.

Ultimately I would love to see the actual difference in fish reared using the different food. My guess is that there would not be much difference but would love to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I have read some of the NLS ones but will read the others as well.

Fascinating. I wonder where the 'gold standard' came from. It's good to try and rate the food to an extent.

Ultimately I would love to see the actual difference in fish reared using the different food. My guess is that there would not be much difference but would love to be proven wrong.
    Actually, there are a couple of interesting Youtube vids showing the colour of fish before and after being fed NLS. If they're to be believed, that's all I'll be feeding my fish

Actually, there are a couple of interesting Youtube vids showing the colour of fish before and after being fed NLS. If they're to be believed, that's all I'll be feeding my fish
    I will have a look. You are piqued my interest in the matter.

What I am curious is to define what is healthy and what measurements we should make to compare the foods. I am guessing colour, breeding, growth, vigour (?) could all be used perhaps. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I will have a look. You are piqued my interest in the matter.

What I am curious is to define what is healthy and what measurements we should make to compare the foods. I am guessing colour, breeding, growth, vigour (?) could all be used perhaps. Not sure.
    Agreed. Another thing to bare in mind is the actual ingredients and the "combinations" used within the different food ranges. What I've been hearing is even though NLS make Discus range, Cichlid range, Algae range etc. all of these are apparently suitable to all fish as the diversity of ingredients within each type of food is varied enough to support most fish.

I'll continue to add links to interesting articles/vids as I come across them.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    I use Ocean Nutrition frozen foods, and have for a long time now. Great brand. Last time I used hikari bloodworms heaps of my fish got sick, bloated and died. Researching around the time my understanding was there is an extra sterilisation step happening in Aus as it is imported which can sometimes cause issues, so i didnt want to risk any further losses (and another reason i never bought blood worms. They can cause bloating in some fish if fed too much).

I've used NLS and they were good, i recently picked up a dainichi branded pellet and my fish have all been eating it quite well (better than any other so far i think). Tropical Krill Gran/Chips is also fairly highly regarded, so their other foods might be too but I havent done much more research outside of their krill gran/chips but are fairly high priced...
    Where do you buy this in Sydney, Indir?

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    Where do you buy this in Sydney, Indir?
    I don't.. I tend ot buy online due to large price differences. But a few stores i've seen carrying NLS, Dainichi and Tropical branded food are Aquaristic (from memory), WTFish in wetheril park, Aquazoo in gregory hills. Thats about it that carry all 3 that i've seen myself. Auburn probably has it too, and Sydney Discus World maybe? They'd be fairly expensive though.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    I don't.. I tend ot buy online due to large price differences. But a few stores i've seen carrying NLS, Dainichi and Tropical branded food are Aquaristic (from memory), WTFish in wetheril park, Aquazoo in gregory hills. Thats about it that carry all 3 that i've seen myself. Auburn probably has it too, and Sydney Discus World maybe? They'd be fairly expensive though.
    Sorry, I should have made it clearer. Where do you buy Ocean nutrition frozen food? Surely not online

Ah Most LFS carry Ocean Nutrition TBH. All of the above named ones do Actually I dont know if WTFish carries it, i havent checked. But Auburn, SDW, Aquaristic, Aquazoo, etc all do
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12