Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Very lucky near miss... need to sort my CO2.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    37

    Default Very lucky near miss... need to sort my CO2.

    Hi all,

    I am wondering if anyone has come up with any DIY ways of locking their CO2 adjustment knob on the bubble counter once it has been set.

    I must have bumped the dial on mine on Sunday during some late night urgent troubleshooting and water cleanup, note for future, dont but another Sicce cannister filter.

    The next afternoon I came home to find one of my angels on the floor, fortunately it was still alive, and the rest of the fish gasping at the top of the tank. I quickly threw a large air stone (and the angel) in the tank, and pointed the power heads towards the surface while I chased down the issue. It didn’t take long to see the drop checker had changed to a very light yellow, and the CO2 was running way faster than it should be. Fortunately, everyone returned to normal after a few hours of aeration and the CO2 being turned off, even the slightly dessicated angel, but I am very aware of how lucky I was to find the problem when I did.

    I have previously seen spring steel style ‘clickers’ installed on similar dials, and was wondering if anyone has seen or made something like that, or has any other suggestions.

    A pH probe/solenoid setup is off the cards at the moment.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    No answer for your question sorry - but is it possible the tank is nearing empty and you are seeing an "end of tank dump" which can happen if the regulator can't maintain regulation as the pressure in the bottle falls.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Thanks grubs, I had considered that, but the bottle is only a month old, and well over half full.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    92

    Default

    I suppose it depends on the type/design of knob/screw you have. I seen (but not for a co2 system application) a rubber band bound 100+ times around a thread to create a degree of friction/stiction between a thread and housing body, else perhaps you could (especially for a metal thread/body) experiment with a strategically placed dab of superglue/loctite that would flick off under a proper load, but hang in there during a "bump". Maybe you could fashion a "guard" from some plastic packaging etc?

    I too had a near miss, and was surprised how quickly things got out of hand. One morning before work I noted that my CO2 bottle was getting really low, so I intended to get the bottle refilled that day. To give my plants etc a last squirt of CO2 for the day, I opened up the needle valve and went to get brekky. Perhaps 45mins later I note fish at the surface and bubbles coming from my spray bars. My little ista turbo reactor, contrary to my then belief, was clearly effective and had been chewing up the gas and doing its thing very efficiently. With a bit of panic I shut it all down, cranked on the air pump, took all the tank lids off and crossed fingers. All fish recovered, and it was a good learning! I now have a backup gas cylinder, and let my cylinders empty at their own pace before swapping them out and refilling them. For whatever reason (perhaps due tunze reg) I haven't noted any issues with EOTD.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,855

    Default

    Some people use the parker vernier or needle valve with a handle/dial etc but I think they are pretty expensive.



    https://www.shopcross.com/product/pa...cpi-vernier-ss

    I don't know the specific types but some have a handle on them rather than knob.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,855

    Default

    Also you could get a 3D printed or otherwise plastic bit to fit over your needle valve to prevent bumping.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Thanks Insipid and Rebel. A rubber shim may work, think I would try to remove the knob first, then cut a piece of rubber or place washers in to shim it up.

    Rebel, that vernier type looks a whole lot like the micrometers I have lying around in the shed. I reckon that would turn dialling in your bubbles to an exact science... may have to consider that it my first solution fails....

    I have an image in my head of the spring steel type clicker that I have previously seen, I may try to make something up similar this weekend with an old hacksaw blade. Will let you know how it goes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •