Thread: Washing Flourite Sand

Question Washing Flourite Sand

Hi all, first up I'm going to say that I haven't done extensive searching of the forums on this topic.

But, I'm hoping this will be a straight forward answer.

I usually use eco complete, but for a change I bought Flourite Sand to re-establish the 1ft cube when we moved house.

However, this one bag of Flourite seems to require a lot, a lot of rinsing. Do I basically rinse it till it's clear and ditch the clay silt that's washed off? Or do I try keep some of this clay silt?

Thanks in advance.
    What The pseudomugil Furcatus was that!?

Generally youd want to wash until its reasonbly clear. Whats the purpose of the sand? Planted tank or otherwise? Note that flurite sand is inert so you may need ferts for your plants.

Hey Rebel.
    Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I needed to know.

It will be a planted tank. Will probably stick one of those 18W led nemolights on the top.

Any recommendations on ferts? I used to buy aquagreen tabs and water column ferts

Cheers

Aquagreen ones will be fine. Fert tabs will work fine with the sand.

Also, flurite apparently is very difficult to wash. Hope the tank is small or you have a strong back and large back yard.

+ 1 . Flourite takes a lot of washing to get clear. That is one of the main reasons why i decided to go with eco complete instead. You have the sand and pretty much any type of sand needs to be really washed before adding to a tank.

So just keep washing it. It should be pretty clear before adding it into the tank. If you can't get it that clear then the filter should clear it up within a few days. If that doesn't work then you might need to do more water changes to remove the cloudiness.

Good luck with the washing

Hi All. It took me about 2 hrs to wash that 1 single bag for my 30x30cm tank.

Because I had already put the Flourite Sand in the tank without washing it, I decided to wash the sand using a seive in the tank.

And what I'm left with is about ~1.5cm of silty fines that are sitting at the bottom of the tank (not to mention the rinse buckets that had silt in them). And a load of fine sand (probably 1mm size).

So I'm not sure whether to keep the silty fines as a base layer in the tank and then put the fine sand on top of it. Because otherwise I'll have lost 1.5cm of substrate across my 30cm cube.

Can't say I'm impressed with Flourite having that much silt because if I do throw it out, it feels like I've been cheated.
    (I can't remember the weight of the Flourite bag vs the eco bag)

However maybe I can mix it with Eco complete (which is what I have used in the past)? Thoughts?

I'll pop down to Aquotix tomorrow during lunch to get some aquagreen tabs so that I can lay them down before putting in the sand.

Thanks all
    Last edited by rahmad; 11-03-18 at 07:25 PM.