Thread: Splitter for Tunze CO2 Regulator 7077/3

Default Splitter for Tunze CO2 Regulator 7077/3

Hi guys, is anyone running a Splitter on their Tunze CO2 Regulator 7077/3, just looking into this and it doesnt look like it will be as straight forward as i had hoped, with my cheap wyin reg I can just attach the spitter to the existing needle valve.

Its this reg -

Was hoping to attach something like this, I have a feeling if I can attach to the existing needle valve (where the tube would connect) I am going to need a extension to clear the gauges etc...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Ways-Me...-/182326065789
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 12-02-18 at 04:00 PM.

All I can say is that the Tunze has a 1/4 NPT at the needle valve. I think you can figure out the matching connector from that although I've never been able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    All I can say is that the Tunze has a 1/4 NPT at the needle valve. I think you can figure out the matching connector from that although I've never been able to.
    Yah i new it was a bit smaller, I think most splitters are 5/8 size? I have modified my old up aqua reg and will just use that one for this purpose so no real need to split the tunze reg, tho it would be handy to know if its possible in the future.

Yes I run a few splitters and solenoids on my Tunze regs. Most wont fit on the tunze needle so you remove the needle valve and assemble the splitter into the reg body. - might as well put in a solenoid while you're at it.

re: extension - if you install a solenoid it will provide the extension to get the splitter past the gauges but I dont think you'll have a problem with the Tunze as the needle comes out the opposite side - you just rotate the reg 90 degrees from that pictured in your post above so the outlet is coming out sideways - to clear the shoulders of the bottle as much as anything.

The Tunze needle valve is 1/4 BSP Male so you can get brass adaptors from any industrial hose supplier (enzed, purple pig, pirtek). I like the CO2Art splitters and the JBJ style solid brass splitters and detest the light alloy types that used to be common on ebay.

For mine - I bought Burkert Solenoids which had 1/8 NPT internal threads so I had to buy a reducing nipple 1/4BSP male->1/8 NPT into the solenoid and coming out of the solenoid I used a 1/8Male NPT -> 1/4BSP female adapter to the reattach the needle or a 1/8->1/8 into a brass splitter (that has 1/8NPT threads)

When using a splitter - you'd leave the tunze needle off and just go straight from the solenoid to the splitter which has its own needle valves.

The hardest part is removing the Tunze needle from the body - the locktite is HARD. I use a vice, some shims of MDF to protect the reg from scratches and a big socket over the Tunze needle valve.
    Last edited by Grubs; 13-02-18 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Yes I run a few splitters and solenoids on my Tunze regs. Most wont fit on the tunze needle so you remove the needle valve and assemble the splitter into the reg body. - might as well put in a solenoid while you're at it.

re: extension - if you install a solenoid it will provide the extension to get the splitter past the gauges but I dont think you'll have a problem with the Tunze as the needle comes out the opposite side - you just rotate the reg 90 degrees from that pictured in your post above so the outlet is coming out sideways - to clear the shoulders of the bottle as much as anything.

The Tunze needle valve is 1/4 BSP Male so you can get brass adaptors from any industrial hose supplier (enzed, purple pig, pirtek). I like the CO2Art splitters and the JBJ style solid brass splitters and detest the light alloy types that used to be common on ebay.

For mine - I bought Burkert Solenoids which had 1/8 NPT internal threads so I had to buy a reducing nipple 1/4BSP male->1/8 NPT into the solenoid and coming out of the solenoid I used a 1/8Male NPT -> 1/4BSP female adapter to the reattach the needle or a 1/8->1/8 into a brass splitter (that has 1/8NPT threads)

When using a splitter - you'd leave the tunze needle off and just go straight from the solenoid to the splitter which has its own needle valves.

The hardest part is removing the Tunze needle from the body - the locktite is HARD. I use a vice, some shims of MDF to protect the reg from scratches and a big socket over the Tunze needle valve.
    Cheers Grubs, good info! I dont need a solenoid as i just run my co2 24/7 on all tanks, so If I do go for a splitter and remove the standard needle valve I am going to need a 1/4 BSP Male splitter, I assume splitters like this are not 1/4 (I have one they seem a bit bigger) does a 1/4 BSP threaded splitter exist or will it require some kind of adaptor / reducer

splitters like in your photo generally have 1/8NPT threads connecting the needles to the octagon in the middle - but the stem has a nut that is designed to screw onto another needle valve (the bottom knob in this case after the "nut" is removed). The CO2Art splitters are like this - as are the JBJ Brass style.

3 options I can think of...

1) replace the Tunze needle valve with a single CO2Art or JBJ needle valve which gives you the correct valve outlet onto which you can attach the splitter - will require a single new needle valve, 1/4->1/8 adapter and the splitter

or

2) remove the stem of the splitter and replace with a new stem (1/8-1/4 nipple) that screws straight into the 1/4BSP female thread in the reg (after removing the Tunze Needle).

or

3) keep the tunze needle so you dont have to touch the reg and void any warranty and replace the stem on the splitter with another needle valve of any type so you can use a short length of CO2 line into the splitter - the only disadvantage with this is the splitter will be flopping around on teh end of some hose but you could zip tie to your stand.

...actually I better check that the splitters dont screw onto the tunze needle already - I'm pretty certain I've been here before and they dont or I would have done it but will check again
    Last edited by Grubs; 13-02-18 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    splitters like in your photo generally have 1/8NPT threads connecting the needles to the octagon in the middle - but the stem has a nut that is designed to screw onto another needle valve (the bottom knob in this case after the "nut" is removed). The CO2Art splitters are like this - as are the JBJ Brass style.

3 options I can think of...

1) replace the Tunze needle valve with a single CO2Art or JBJ needle valve which gives you the correct valve outlet onto which you can attach the splitter - will require a single new needle valve, 1/4->1/8 adapter and the splitter

or

2) remove the stem of the splitter and replace with a new stem (1/8-1/4 nipple) that screws straight into the 1/4BSP female thread in the reg (after removing the Tunze Needle).

or

3) keep the tunze needle so you dont have to touch the reg and void any warranty and replace the stem on the splitter with another needle valve of any type so you can use a short length of CO2 line into the splitter - the only disadvantage with this is the splitter will be flopping around on teh end of some hose but you could zip tie to your stand.

...actually I better check that the splitters dont screw onto the tunze needle already - I'm pretty certain I've been here before and they dont or I would have done it but will check again
    Cheers for the options, I actually probably dont need to use the tunze reg for splitting anymore as I was able to remove the solenoid plunger from my old up-aqua reg (I want to split co2 3ways to my tanks outside and dont want to power the reg / solenoid) and the up-aqua as the correct size thread etc to just attached the splitter direct to the needle valve output.

Still good to know the options incase I would like to split the co2 out of the tunze regulators in the future. Thanks again