Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camallanus treatment

Default camallanus treatment

Hey ... It has been a while since I have been in here.

I have grown quite a bit since I was originally here several months back.
    I now have 8 tanks going in my home. I know.... I slid down that slippery slope. A big massive slide. ...

I have several species of fish.
    platys , guppies, swordtails, corydoras, bristlenose catfish, bettas, rainbows, etc......

Anyhow..
    Every so often I have a massive loss of young fish, or a single fish .. Deaths I have not been able to establish cause of.
    Today I decided to research worms and I have a very high suspicion that is where my problem is. By now spread amongst all my tanks.
    Based on data I have read and pictures I have viewed I believe the culprit to be the camallanus worm.

I have no photos to show but I do have 2 fish at present that are in a serious way. A guppy and betta. (I do believe all the fish are infected to some degree though. how can they not be?)

Worm treatments I have seen instore are for fluke and tapeworm. So I really do not know what to do. Many of the sites I got my research from talk about Big L but I have no idea on where and how to use it anyway.

Am hoping some of you guys (or gals) in here might be able to offer some real advise on how to treat. I have around 300 fish here......

Thanking you all in advance.

Hiya welcome back!!

With that many tanks etc I have one important question.... How many quarantine tanks do you run? You will need a couple I reckon.

With worming, most people with discus and guppies worm them regularly using Kusuri wormer plus.

https://www.loaches.com/Members/shar...ydrochloride-1

This link helped me when i had them

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hiya welcome back!!

With that many tanks etc I have one important question.... How many quarantine tanks do you run? You will need a couple I reckon.

With worming, most people with discus and guppies worm them regularly using Kusuri wormer plus.
    Hi Rebel!
    I actually only have 1 quarantine tank at present. Normally none as they get used up so quick! I have been given a 4ft tank though which comes to me in a couple of months. I have too many baby platties and guppies and bristlenoses!! I reckon over 300 in total. My current quarantine tank is actually my bettas tank. He is sick so I figured why not just put all my sick together with him since he is not interested in anything but lounging around ..

My sick fishy symptoms are:
    arched back; lethargy; not eating; coming up for air but not food; swimming haphazardly when they do; not responding to melafix or multicure; white to clear stringy poo; eventually death.

I have never treated for worms so I figured maybe now is a good time to begin doing so on a regular basis as a standard maintenance. once a year or however regular it should be done.

Big L wormer is what I’ve used in the past (contains praziquantel ). I can’t remember the dose anymore but if you do a google search it will come up
    You can usually see camallanus worms hanging out the fishes back end

Cheers
    Im just a little bit crazy

Please update on how you go with the treatment. I am hopeful that your problems will be solved. Don't forget to treat any newcomers on spec.

Update..

Would you believe the store didn't have in stock what I was looking for. Wanted to sell me something else that costs twice as much. Will have to wait until Thursday when I go back to where I was living last year (I bought a home recently but moved 1hr further north). Where I bought my home is a much bigger town than where I was before but only has 2 stores. Neither had much stock at all.

So.. Long story short. We have put down the guppy as she was on her side bent in a 90 degree angle with a big black mark next to her anus. She was still alive but I felt she was suffering too much.

My betta is still as was before. So I will get the wormer still and use it as a regular maintenance for good health. (like you do with dogs and cats)

Question.... Have you ever known a fish to accidentally swallow a stone? If they can maybe that is what happened......

If the stone hypothesis is correct, you will find it easily when you open that fish up. Need to have a strong stomach tho.

I would just get from ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KUSURI-w...-/192360912410

Or the Big L that has been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by little_tigress View Post
    So I will get the wormer still and use it as a regular maintenance for good health. (like you do with dogs and cats)
    Don't do this IMO. These diseases can build up into a strain which is immune to the medicine used over time. I believe this is bad practice, especially with worms. Better of having a quarantine tank and quarantining all new additions in there for 4+ weeks and treating accordingly. I would however do a treatment course for worms if this is your suspected issue, with something like Kusuri wormer and/or blueplanet tape/flukeworm tablets, and than something more broad..? As Noddy mentioned, camallanus worms are pretty easy to see hanging out of the anus of the fish when they are not swimming around (even while swimming in severe cases), if you do not have this I would treat for intestinal worms instead of for camallanus specifically.

Side Note - Some of the symptoms heard here make me think that there is more at play here than camallanus worms (or worms in general), especially the curved spine and the not eating. Most of the time fish with worms will eat but starve anyway, right until near death, in my experience.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Don't do this IMO. These diseases can build up into a strain which is immune to the medicine used over time. I believe this is bad practice, especially with worms. Better of having a quarantine tank and quarantining all new additions in there for 4+ weeks and treating accordingly. I would however do a treatment course for worms if this is your suspected issue, with something like Kusuri wormer and/or blueplanet tape/flukeworm tablets, and than something more broad..? As Noddy mentioned, camallanus worms are pretty easy to see hanging out of the anus of the fish when they are not swimming around (even while swimming in severe cases), if you do not have this I would treat for intestinal worms instead of for camallanus specifically.

Side Note - Some of the symptoms heard here make me think that there is more at play here than camallanus worms (or worms in general), especially the curved spine and the not eating. Most of the time fish with worms will eat but starve anyway, right until near death, in my experience.
    I agree with not worming prophylactically. I would use a dose of Kusuri which doesn't seem to bother fish much. Camallanus are not always immediately obvious but will hang out of anus with kusuri. However this does not kill Camallanus. For this I have only found Levamisole useful. Doses as per the loaches website mentioned above or as per this one http://inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTre...Procedure.html
    I have had to use higher doses than this in the past. I recommend 6 months quarantine for new fish generally and after Levamisole treatment from bitter personal experience.

Give the above recommondations, might as well buy Big L then. Kusuri is expensive enough as it is.

https://www.thevetshed.com.au/buy/wo...r-125ml/POULTW

@Rebel - They treat different types of worms, Kusuri is more useful for treating a wider range of worms vs Levamisole (Big L). I'd probably do as happyfins suggested if you CANNOT see the worms hanging from the anus in any fish (fish that are lethargic and not swimming much will be the easiest to spot them on).
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

@Indir, so the order of events should be Kusuri then if it fails, then Big L? I suppose you have to vacuum the worms from the sub after Kusuri treatment, which would be hard in a planted tank!!

@rebel - Big L only if the worms are seen protruding from anus. I wouldn't bother otherwise... Better of using that time to dose something more like a broad antibiotic or something .

You'd have to vacuum worms even with big L. Nature of the beast is that they need to be removed from the tank once dropped, along with eggs. That is to get all stages of the life cycle of the nematodes in my understanding.

Most camallanus species require an intermediate host to be passed on, usually a crustacean. Although there is at least one species that can directly reinfect the fish. Therefor siphoning the bodies is probably not really necessary (unless you've got eh one species where it does matter)
    Im just a little bit crazy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast