Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: API test faulty?

Add some salt to the tank even tho no more fish have died. The big water change and gravel clean was to buy some time and would have diluted any chemicals (possible poisons) in the tank and any disease organisms. If it is a protozoan infection that killed the white clouds and 2 guppies, then the parasites will still be in the water (albeit in lower numbers) and will kill again when their numbers build back up. The salt will kill most freshwater parasites and hopefully reduce the need to use chemical based medications if it does flare up again.

---------------------

Stringy white poop in fish is usually internal parasites like worms, but can also be caused by bacterial or protozoan infections. Guppies and pretty much all livebearers (mollies, swordtails, platies) are usually riddled with worms and can normally live with them for their entire lives. However, it's a good idea to treat for worms when you first get fish so there is one less stress issue for the fish. Nilvern (Levamisole Hydrochloride) is what I used for round and thread worms but check the forum and petshops in your area for available medications. Praziquantel can be used for tapeworm, which is much less common in fish but still occurs in them.

If the fish stops eating, bloats up and does stringy white poop, then it is bacterial and the fish will probably die.

With the salt, is it Sodium chloride or Magnesium sulfate?

sodium chloride is what you want.

Cheapest place to buy it is at Bunnings, BigW or a swimming pool shop, and buy a bag of swimming pool salt from them for about $8. Then keep it somewhere clean and dry and use it whenever you need it.

you don't want anything fancy with special buffers in, just plain old boring sodium chloride.

Thanks Colin.

So I have left 1 out of 7 guppies, 1 out of 1 platy, 7 out of 13 white clouds and both bristlenose catfish are still going.

I somehow have platy fry in the tank even though I don't have a male, I guess the thing about them storing sperm is true.

Any unusual signs or discolouration on the dead fish? or were they the same as the guppy in earlier photos?

Have you put the salt in the tank? if no, then do another big (75%) water change and complete gravel clean then stick some salt in.

Female livebearers like guppies, mollies, swordtails & platies are usually pregnant when you buy them at the shop. And the females will store sperm packets from earlier matings and use them over time when conditions are good. Swordtails can even change sex from female to male. And just to make things more complicated, most common platies sold in petshops are a hybrid between a swordtail and platy.

Yes I put the salt in. I also put in some Indian almond leaves. I am hoping the fish will stop dying now.

Thanks so much for all your help and support Colin. Now if only you had an answer to avoiding toddler fingerprints on the outside of the glass

Quote Originally Posted by jsr View Post
    Now if only you had an answer to avoiding toddler fingerprints on the outside of the glass
    get another aquarium to put the kid in. put some toys in it and a doggy bed and put some food & water in a couple of times a day. or a bird cage/ aviary out the back. if you have a fenced off yard you can let them free range out the back.

you can double the dose of salt too if need be but see how they go. If you lose any more fish increase the salt level.

looks a lot like my uncle after he has had a few. bald head, fat gut, stupid smile on his face. yep its uncle Bert.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234