Thread: Blood Parrot sick or normal peeling?

Default Blood Parrot sick or normal peeling?

Hi

Is it possible for you guys to take a look here and tell me if this is normally what happens when BP "peel"? I have 2 BP's and this guy is the smallest, the much larger one is still grey.

Sorry in-advanced for the poor quality photos and dirty tank. I moved the guy to a spare 30g tank because I'm worried something is wrong with him due to being a little picked on by the larger BP or is missing scales for some reason.

Can't tell much from the photos due to quality. But peeling skin is not a normal thing in any fish, likely a bacterial infection? Any chance of getting a little better pics, personally I cant see any peeling on the linked photos.

It is possibly your larger one has attacked the smalelr one and gotten a couple of scales or even a small wound, and an infection has set in from here? I'm not sure what to suggest as a possible medicine without actually being able to diagnose. I suppose you could try something like melafix for a more natural, less aggressive, treatment? Along with clean water ofcourse.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

I had a look at the pics and couldn't see any issues either! Curious to see this problem with a better picture.

Looking at google, generally peeling skin is not considered a good thing at all.

Thanks for the replies. The term "peeling" is used a lot in the hybrid world. It means the colour change from grey to yellow, orange or red. Or so I have been reading on various forums

That's cool! Like a metamorphosis??

*calmy backs out of the room* - I've got no idea anymore
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    I've got no idea anymore
    That's me on a good day.

Thats a normal peel, well as normal as a random pigment change is ever gonna be.

Thanks again guys

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    *calmy backs out of the room* - I've got no idea anymore
    lol hybrids are new to me as well. It's actually melanin re-absorption but "peeling" is easier lol

*keeps backing out* Haha.

please clean glass before photographing fish. It makes it easier to identify the issue.

The fish does not appear to be losing skin. If the skin peels off you see pink coloured flesh underneath.

If there is cream or white patching on the body, that is excess mucous. Fish are covered in a thin layer of mucous, which helps protect them from infections and makes them more streamlined in water. If a fish is stressed from poor water quality or diseases/ parasites, they produce more mucous that appears as cream, white or grey patches on the body or fins.