Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Fert Auto Doser Jebao dp-4?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Australia, Adelaide
    Posts
    217

    Default Fert Auto Doser Jebao dp-4?

    Hi all, looking to get an auto doser and the DP-4 is well priced. I was just wondering on how people are still going with theirs? I have read a lot of issues with these and would love to get the forums opinions on reliability before i pull the trigger.

    I noticed there is a verion 2 out there now. anyone know the difference between this and the version 1?

    if not the Jebao anyone recommend any other brands?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    12,978

    Default

    I've got the DP4. It's the best thing for the planted tank after CO2. Not only do I use it for ferts, but also for auto top ups in my open top tank. My screen switches off now like a screen saver (can't remember whether this was like this before) but it doesn't affect the function as it works when I press a button.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Australia, Adelaide
    Posts
    217

    Default

    hey rebel.. what manually dosing ferts atm i shake the bottle to give it a good mix before i put it in the tank. What do you do to compensate for this when you auto dose? or do you just not worry about it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    12,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    hey rebel.. what manually dosing ferts atm i shake the bottle to give it a good mix before i put it in the tank. What do you do to compensate for this when you auto dose? or do you just not worry about it
    My ferts (all in one) gets mixed and diluted with the top up water so I only end up using one port of the pump anyways. I don't bother with the settling which should be minimal when the concentration is so low.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Australia, Adelaide
    Posts
    217

    Default

    for simplicity, i was thinking of going the all in one route but i could never find how much ascorbic acid and Potassium sorbate to use. Do you have a formula or some info on that? and apart from the simplicity of adding one fert per day is there any other reason you do it?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    12,978

    Default

    Just being lazy. I also have plenty of Green Element lying around.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...tic-Fertiliser

    If you already have the separate mixes made up, best to use those. You can just load up enough for two weeks in 5L (diluted) containers and your top up needs may also be met.

    Ascorbic acid and sorbate are around 0.5g per 500ml from memory. I will need to check. I don't add any extra when I dilute the mix.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Just being lazy. I also have plenty of Green Element lying around.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...tic-Fertiliser

    If you already have the separate mixes made up, best to use those. You can just load up enough for two weeks in 5L (diluted) containers and your top up needs may also be met.

    Ascorbic acid and sorbate are around 0.5g per 500ml from memory. I will need to check. I don't add any extra when I dilute the mix.
    First of all, sorry to original poster for asking a different question, however it is sort of relevant though.

    The question is to Rebel. I remember seeing in one of your posts that you mix something with the liquid ferts to avoid development of fungus and similar stuff. In my premixed liquids, I can see development of whitish stuff. What's the remedy for that?

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    12,978

    Default

    Hi Tanz, The fungus is inhibited by Potassium sorbate. I also add a wee bit of Glut to my mixes. Keeping it in the fridge and avoiding light can also help.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Tanz, The fungus is inhibited by Potassium sorbate. I also add a wee bit of Glut to my mixes. Keeping it in the fridge and avoiding light can also help.
    Hi Rebel, thanks for your reply. I will put it in my next batch.

    Cheers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Hi Rebel,
    Another question, where do you source it from and how much do you put in?

    Thanks.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    12,978

    Default

    I got some from the health food shop. [ Didn't ask why they have it there..... ] 0.5g per 500ml.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I got some from the health food shop. [ Didn't ask why they have it there..... ] 0.5g per 500ml.
    Thanks mate.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I am running both Kamoer and Jebao on different systems. Both deliver ferts or whatever else reliably, although I find the menu navigation on the kamoer a bit simpler to drive (they are older units). That said, the Kamoer has an annoying issue where if left anywhere but the home screen, it will not deliver anything until you realise and change it back. This may be fixed on newer models.

    Both have the same fail point where the silicone tubing in the capillary pump will split and start to leak after a fair bit of use (quicker in higher volume channels or those with chemicals that may break down the tubing - VSV did it for me).

    I was adding ferts in my planted tank using a Jebao, but removed it after about six months. I didn’t like the tubing in my display (no sump) and found that dosing manually twice weekly worked well for me - you always know when you have run out of something.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Australia, Adelaide
    Posts
    217

    Default

    thanks for the replies.. i have gone ahead an purchased it, looking forward to crossing adding ferts every day to my daily tasks

    just have one more question.. what to use for the hosing? is the clear vinyl from bunnings ok to use or do i need to get silicone tubing?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    12,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    thanks for the replies.. i have gone ahead an purchased it, looking forward to crossing adding ferts every day to my daily tasks

    just have one more question.. what to use for the hosing? is the clear vinyl from bunnings ok to use or do i need to get silicone tubing?
    I just use silicone. You need to replace every 2-3 years tho.

    Use a transparent one if possible because it's good for troubleshooting as required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •