Thread: Large planted tank

Default Large planted tank

Hi all im new here so ive had a 6x2.5x2.5 its viewable from 3 side and overflow down one end for the last 5 years its been running as reef tank but due to a power outage i lost pretty much everything so i thought id change things up and go fresh now .so ive got a 4x2x2 sump underneath the tank it has 4 sections i tried posting a pic but not sure how to do it yet. So im thinking of doing a planted tank ive got a 50kgs of 3mm gravel and 50 kgs 6mm gravel and some large drift wood im think soil and capping it not sure on that yet any ideas would help and not sure on how to use the sump for planted either any help will be appreciated for sure i dont wanna do it right the first time around or close to it anyway

Welcome mate, for posting images I find Imgur the easiest. Just create an account, upload, copy BBcode links straight into forum.

hi mate and welcome. why are you thinking of putting two different sized gravel together? i am assuming you want to put the smaller gravel on top for asthetics? if you do this the small gravel will slowly find their way under the coarse gravel.

same thing with capping aquasoil with finer gravel on top, it will fall to the bottom. if you are going aquasoil just stick to that or if you want a cheaper option and want DIY there is an excellent article on this forum look for twotoneds diy substrate

for posting images i use flickr.. just upload and then 'share' them to get a bbc code, then copy paste that code

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    hi mate and welcome. why are you thinking of putting two different sized gravel together? i am assuming you want to put the smaller gravel on top for asthetics? if you do this the small gravel will slowly find their way under the coarse gravel.

same thing with capping aquasoil with finer gravel on top, it will fall to the bottom.
    Yes, this is true.

You could use the 6mm in panty hose or similar and have it at the bottom and cap it off with 3mm no issues.

You could use aquasoil in bags also in this tank because decking the whole thing with soil would be quite expensive. Depends on what you want to achieve.

Are you going to use CO2?

Sorry to hear of the losses in the salty tank.

Post up some pics if you get the chance.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...r-and-Facebook

Avoid photobucket.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/138319685@N02/4152Yk

i drained the tank today hopefully the pics work never used that flickr b4

Dude thats a beautiful setup!!

yeah that setup looks awesome, looking forward to your build

before posting the actual link flickr gives you, you can remove everything before [img] and after [/img] (but not including those).. this way you can have the picture automatically displayed in your post (no need for others to click to view) - not that that is a big deal

Tank drained finally and clean some what by Wes Cullen, on Flickr

Stuff that dreams are made of!