Thread: algae ID and treatment

Default algae ID and treatment

Hi all

hoping i could find out what algae i have in the tank and the best method to try remove it.

My tank is relatively algae free except for what i think is some green dust algae on my rocks and on the leaves of my AR mini. I dont have any algae on an other plants or glass, is this normal? i cant understand why only these two things are affected at this time.

for the rocks is it best to scrub them clean inside the tank or would release algae spores into the water making things worse?

for the plants should i remove them and dip them in something (i have potassium permaganate at home) or should i just get rid of the plants and try again?

Anyone know what could be causing this? would it be too much lighting? or is it the amount of blue lighting (have heard blue light can cause algae but no idea if this is true or not).

I dose both macro and micro's on alternate days as per EI method but only at half strength, could this be the cause? my CO2 is constant each day so dont think this CO2 is the issue.

Sorry for all the quesions but really hoping someone can help here, i would really like to address it soon before this problem gets any worse.

cheers

help.... anyone!!

Green dust can be a problem in EI dosed tanks. There are multiple reports on the net. I don't think anyone knows how to rid it. Tom Barr recommends plecos. Otos and Nerite snails (not that great in soft water) should also help. Scrape and siphon it constantly.

I think its pretty hard to stop this kind of algae growing on hardscape, I wouldnt worry about it on the rocks to much, if you can drop the water level scrub them with some h202 let sit for a bit then refill...

I think AR Mini can be tricky, needs a bit of light I think otherwise it can grow slow probably why the GSA is also growing on the AR, but double edged sword, if you up the the light the GSA on the hardscape will probably get worse.

Hmm... agree with Doyle that it might be GSA rather than green dust.

With GSA, I would suggest increasing phosphate dose x2, increasing CO2 slightly (risky for the discus) and reducing light.

It's possible to achieve a tank without GSA but it can be very tricky. I have never achieved a high tech tank without GSA.

This will not help you. Algae is a natural part of what happens in water. Reducing the algae to make it look appealing is good but to expect to have no algae is pretty unreasonable.
    Increasing one nutrient to eliminate algae of a particular type will just encourage another type.
    Have you ever looked at a natural environment and not seen algae?
    Your tank looks pretty bloody good and if GSA is the worst of it then you are doing better than 75% of the rest of us.

Throw a handful or two of Glass Shrimp in there and they will sort it out. They also become a great source of live food !!! I just watched my Apisto's tearing one apart !!!
    Whatever

thanks for the replies guys... Two other issue's i noticed since posting is that only one of my ludwigia glandulosa plants is also starting to get algae on leaves and aint looking the best (the rest look good), growth has slowed dramatically and that i am starting to lose a quite a bit of leaves from mainly the s repens.

i did a bit of research on Nutirent deficiencies in plants while waiting for a reply and indiations are that loss of plants leaves and GSA appearing on plants indicates a deficiancy of phosphates (nice work rebel). Considering i have been dosing EI at half levels this may well be the issue for the plants.

@ doyle cheers mate, will give that your suggestion of cleaning rocks with h202 a crack

@ rebel, nice suggestion with the phosphates.. seems this might be the issue here, but i dont want to change more than one factor at a time as this will make finding the cause a lot harder. plan is to increase nutrients as per normal EI recommendations and leave other parameters alone for now. Will give it a month of dosing and see what happens.

@madmerv you are right, algae is present in the natural environment and thinking i will be rid of it altogether may well be unreasonable. My main concern isnt just the algae but i have notice a dramatic slowing of growth at the same time this algae appeared so i am thinking these two things go hand in hand. Also i keep looking at tanks made by tom barr and others and their plants look so nice and healthy and from what i can see harldy any algae at all.

@big daddy.. never even heard of glass shrimp but will have a look into these.. my only concern is seeing these 'temporary pets' getting eaten.. i am not sure how i will like it.. just so you know i am not a vegan but a keen devoted fisherman so have no issue catching and eating fish

Just think of them as bait.
    Whatever

Livebait does have its purpose.. thanks for the free psychology lesson

Just keeping this post updated in case anyone comes across this issue in the future. So yeah it started with the algae, then with a small amount of leaf loss in the tank. I didnt write it here as it was minimal and also was not sure at the time if any of my fish had taken a liking to my plants.

my initial though process was lack of nutrients for my plants as i was using EI dosing (at half strength). I changed the dosing concentration to full and was going to wait a month before trying something else.

after around 1-2 weeks i noticed the leaf loss got much worse and affected most plants (i know this due to the leaves i was clearing from around my surface skimmer each day).

After a lucky spot check of my CO2 i noticed it was off, checked the timer and the time on it was out by miles. Not sure if i accidentally knocked the timer and put the time off so i reset it and monitored closely. I checked again the next day (or two) and the time was out by quite a bit again. Removed the timer (10 years old) and bought a new digital one.

within a couple of days i started seeing the leave loss improve and continued to improve over the next few days. Now I am only seeing a leaf here or there, back to normal levels and i can now see new growth on the exposed stems.

Unfortunately i will not know if my issues were caused solely due to the inconsistent CO2, as i changed the EI dosing strengh around the same time but for sure the irregular CO2 dosing amounts and time of day would of been a cause for sure.

will see how things start going over the next couple of weeks and hopefully make the last post in this topic.

It's more likely due to CO2 deficiency compared to your light levels. GSA/GDA certainly can be due to that imbalance. Don't forget that high light with no CO2 can cause plants to stunt and melt.

In a planted tank, too much ferts don't usually cause algae alone unless too much light/not enough CO2 is involved.