Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: 5ft bookshelf aquarium - plan/build

They seem like hungry little critters, not a huge amount of algae in the tank yet and I am not sure how well they do finding micro pellets etc, I did add a few new rocks and you can really see how much the older rocks have aged when comparing to some fresh river stones, tho not much green algae on them yet. They pretty much cleared out another gel covered stone last night.

I think they eat the biofilm rather than visible algae. If they are hungry and finishing it up, I suppose you could feed em. Maybe they will even breed etc if in top notch condition!

On a side note, you could try add that food on a high current area...and make them work for it could be a good video (and exercise for them) heh

Changed my lighting schedule today, previously the light was on at 4pm ramp until 5pm, 10pm random down 11pm off. (The hours I normally see the tank, inline with all my other aquariums)

I have bumped the lighting period by a fair few hours, need to grow green algae so far I am only really growing BBA...

Light on at 8am ramp up until 12 noon, 6pm - 10pm ramp down (light is running at 50% power). Its hard to estimate how much light the ramp up and down period provide, 14 hrs of light is x3 whats I usually provide... bring on the algae!

Growing specific algae on tap will be pretty tricky IMHO. I tried to grow BBA for a while and failed. Now I have BBA when I don't need it.

If you want stringy green algae, add some ammonia or some good ol organic juice into the tank.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Growing specific algae on tap will be pretty tricky IMHO. I tried to grow BBA for a while and failed. Now I have BBA when I don't need it.

If you want stringy green algae, add some ammonia or some good ol organic juice into the tank.... :P
    Yeah usually i grow the more compact green algae (GSA GDA) no problems in my previous tanks, this time just lots of tiny dots of BBA on all the rocks.
    Not sure I want "hair algae" just want the rocks covered in a nice green film, this is a good example of what I want to achieve taken from UKAPS - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...am-tank.31390/

Guess I just need to give it time, also the Val has melted since removing the co2, hopefully it comes back

yeah, that's GDA, GSA and some fuzz algae.

Maybe lower the phosphates/magnesium and blast it with light.

Captured a quick video of two loaches fighting, these guys where going at it all evening, entertaining to watch, the small sewellia doesn't like anyone.

Have been reading about diatoms, I am going to dose some silica to see if I can increase the growth of diatoms for the loaches to feed on.

Add some unwashed sand for silica. What other method were you thinking about for silica source??

I think the amount of "Free" sillica in la plata sand is minimal, I didnt wash it when setting up this tank and didnt really get much / any diatoms. I am going to try this product - http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/spongexcel.php

1 drop per gallon of water increases ionic silica concentration by ~0.20 ppm, I will start slow and monitor how things go.

I actually contact this company http://algaenviro.com.au/aquaculture/ and the the owner (a very knowable guy on diatoms) was really helpful and may even provide a custom mix of the product they sell (usually only used in large water ways etc)
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 27-06-18 at 09:01 AM.

That's service! They sounds like they are passionate about it.

Do you think the fighting could be courting/competition behaviour for breeding?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    That's service! They sounds like they are passionate about it.

Do you think the fighting could be courting/competition behaviour for breeding?
    Just competition I think, that small sewellia (the gold dotted loach) generally protects that area, sometimes it doesnt mind others in the area and other times they do the nose to nose pushing thing for hours, a few loaches seem to have a rock or an area they try to protect / own, while others just dont seem to bother.

RE http://algaenviro.com.au providing good service, the head guy there was really nice, gave me a call and everything, suggested dosing silica as without silica I wont get diatom growth.

Maybe this will help with idea for feeding. Some rocks coated and swapped out as required.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4NzwP8CuocU

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    Maybe this will help with idea for feeding. Some rocks coated and swapped out as required.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4NzwP8CuocU
    Cheer Tim, good video! I have been setting repashy soilent green onto various rocks, I posted a video a on the page back, it sticks well to lava rock, no so much smooth rocks. The loaches do eat it but dont go crazy for it like in Rachel O'leary's video, tho I did put some small bits of soilent green in my other tanks and the fish and shrimp went mad for it, so not sure why they are not so crazy for the food in the hillstream tank, perhaps the current moves the scent of the food away? Even the shrimp in the hillstream tank will just pass over the soilnet green without stopping but in my blackwater tank they swam the food and dont move until its gone.

Either way the loaches do eat it but not as franticly as I have seen in other videos.

Took some photos this evening, love looking at the loaches close up, they have such personality.

IMG_2245 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2235 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2266 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2242 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2239 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2236 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2234 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2233 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2268 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2267 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2264 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2262 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr