Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: 5ft bookshelf aquarium - plan/build

Few photos, one at eye level and one from lower down, kind of cool to lay on the floor and watch the water ripple across the surface.

IMG_2051 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2045 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Pretty sure Amanos big display tank at home was also best viewed from that low angle. I am known to sit below the tank for at least 10 minutes daily.

Starting to get some nice algae... never thought I would call algae nice, tho would be great if I could grow green / brown soft algae without BBA... starting to see tiny tuffs of BBA on the rocks closest to the window in my study. Loaches seem to be enjoying the algae tho.

Some photos below, most of the loaches didnt want to be on camera tonight, I think my camera / flash brings out more yellow than there is in the loaches, the yellow is not so noticeable by eye, they look more dark grey/brown to my eye, could be the flash stressing them bring out some yellow perhaps, they dont like being photographed and hide when I am pointing the camera right at the glass. It is fascinating how quickly they change colour tho, I managed to take a photo (first photo below... not the best photo) of two loaches fighting over a rock, these two guys went really dark / black with the banded stripes, and as soon as the fight is over go back the lighter browny grey. I saw my first blue loach today, it was fighting with a small Sewellia who didnt change colour as far as I could tell. I think they go more blue when really angry!

IMG_2067 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2078 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2076 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2077 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2073 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2064 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2079 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2072 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Could it be camouflage that changes their colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Could it be camouflage that changes their colour?
    Yah they definitely also change colour depending on what surface they are on, much more grey / light when on the sand, very interesting fish, I am surprised how fast the colour changes, you can watch the colour change over about 5 seconds.

Few more photos tonight, the loaches are probably sick of me trying to take photos of them!

IMG_2095 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2107 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2098 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2104 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2096 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2100 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_2105 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Cleaned the filters today, what a pain, a job I never enjoy, tho the filters where pretty clean, no brown sludge like in my tanks with soil, also did light gravel / sand vac and big WC, put a jet nozzle on the other outlet, I think the loaches like the extra flow. I was actually injecting co2 I thought with the huge surface movement it wouldn't effect the loaches and from what I could tell it wasn't, the drop checker was pretty much dark dark green bordering on blue most of the time. but today decided to remove the co2 / inline atomizer one less thing to worry about.

Here is a video I shot after the tank maintenance.

Lovely video. All the tank mates look like they are loving it.

Loving this setup - the scape specifically. Very unique and haven't really come across anything like it! You also pulled it off very well.

Thanks guys

Saw the video in YT, amazing! The whole tank looks great and the loaches are so much fun to watch

I got some repashy soilent green delivered today, tried to dip smooth river stones in the hot liquid... didnt stick, poured the hot liquid mix over smooth river stones again didnt stick, finally tired pouring over lava rock and it did stick.

I put the lava rock with the soilent green green in the tank about 5 hours ago, its holding pretty well on the rough lava rock and the loaches are showing interest in it, not exactly flocking to the rock but they are interested in it and I have seen some grazing on the rock / gel mix.

Managed to capture a quick video of a few some gastro's getting into the gel. Will take the rock out when lights go out, hopefully they develop a taste for the gel, i need to get some smaller lava rocks as it doesn't seem they will eat this much food in the 6 hours the light is on.

Nice! I guess they just need to get used to the new taste?

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Nice! I guess they just need to get used to the new taste?
    yeah, will feed this daily for a few days and see how they go, got some in the tank at the moment and they are hopping onto the rock every now and then, so thats positive!

I doubt you need to feed everyday though.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast