Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: 5ft bookshelf aquarium - plan/build

Got another new lens this week, thought I would test it out with a photo of this tank, have to say I am not that impressed with the sharpness of the lens, its a Samyang 14mm f2.8, I purchased because I want to try my hand at some astrophotography, mainly just want a photo of the milky way... apparently the samyang lenses are not focus collaborated from the factory, so I will go at it with a tiny screwdriver and see if I can improve the focus / sharpness. The 8mm Samyang I got last week also isnt the best with focusing, they are both fully manual and cheap, i guess you get what you pay for, the Canon 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens I usual use for FTS is way way way (way) sharper and retails for half the price of the samyang lenses...

Anyways this isnt a photography forum but I know some of you have an interest in photography... here is the photo of the tank.

IMG_2916-Edit.jpg by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Some updates regarding the tank. I lost my first loach last week, the smallest sewellia, which was really sad, it was my favourite loach and the most active of them all. It I found the dead loach maybe 5 or so hours after i hit some BBA with H2o2, I use the strong 50% stuff, I think perhaps the loach got hit with some of the h2o2 directly, it was a fresh bottle and i guess too strong, thats the only thing I can think off, all the other fish where fine. Poor sewellia

As you can see I have let the frogbit go a bit crazy, it grows super fast in this tank, it kind of ugly and shadows half the tank but the white cloud minnows seem to like the cover, I think they have coloured up more with the extra cover, snails have also gone crazy in this tank, probably from over feeding but I can live with that.

I cant find any more sewellia loaches anywhere in Perth, so I think I may add a few more Pseudo gastro's which are easier to find in Perth / Australia.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 11-10-18 at 11:38 PM.

I love a good photography post I miss astrophotography, caught the milkyway from my backyard once believe it or not... Posting a pic to brag :P One of my favourite pics i've taken haha.

I have a Tokina 11-16mm for landscapes and similar. It is a great lens Keen to hear how you go with the samyang in the end. I've read about their focus issues which put me off getting one and i ended up with a tokina instead.

Tank is looking good IMO. I like the frogbit side with the shadows, etc. Makes it look like a real river scene or something Shame about the loss of the sewellia though
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

I used to post on AL a lot. Not so much these days although I have only really got back into my tanks recently.

Anyway, I just have to say I love this tank. I think it’s the rocks - which in some ways are too big but in the end all perfectly sized (and placed!) - and the way the Val can properly stretch its legs in this set up.

Makes me want to put our 5ft long hall stand to better use every time I walk past/look at this thread.
    siemanthepieman - french for 'bloody legend'

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    I love a good photography post I miss astrophotography, caught the milkyway from my backyard once believe it or not... Posting a pic to brag :P One of my favourite pics i've taken haha.

I have a Tokina 11-16mm for landscapes and similar. It is a great lens Keen to hear how you go with the samyang in the end. I've read about their focus issues which put me off getting one and i ended up with a tokina instead.

Tank is looking good IMO. I like the frogbit side with the shadows, etc. Makes it look like a real river scene or something Shame about the loss of the sewellia though
    I didnt do to much research before jumping on a cheap second hand samyang 14mm... I read it was good for astro so just brought it via ebay, then did the research and the internet is full of posts about correcting the focus issue, I will have to give it a go soon because at the moment I am not that happy with the focus.

Great photo of the milkyway from your backyard! I live in the middle of the city so to much light around, hope to get out somewhere dark and capture the milky way soon, tho I think "milkyway" season is pretty much done until earlier next year... I also got a small telescope so hope to do some camping / star gazing when the weather is a bit better!

Quote Originally Posted by siemanthepieman View Post
    I used to post on AL a lot. Not so much these days although I have only really got back into my tanks recently.

Anyway, I just have to say I love this tank. I think it’s the rocks - which in some ways are too big but in the end all perfectly sized (and placed!) - and the way the Val can properly stretch its legs in this set up.

Makes me want to put our 5ft long hall stand to better use every time I walk past/look at this thread.
    Cheers for the kind words! you should put that hall stand to use :P

Boys, not to derail the tank stuff.

Starz can definitely be done in highly urban environments.

Reb El shared a photo with you from the Flickr app. Check it out:
    https://flic.kr/p/28XRbUm

I think Nikon is winning the high iso shadow noise abd dynamic range wars these days?

@doyle, perhaps try to do a focus test for back focus or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Boys, not to derail the tank stuff.

Starz can definitely be done in highly urban environments.

Reb El shared a photo with you from the Flickr app. Check it out:
    https://flic.kr/p/28XRbUm

I think Nikon is winning the high iso shadow noise abd dynamic range wars these days?

@doyle, perhaps try to do a focus test for back focus or similar.
    @rebel, I have done a few test shots in Kings Park in Perth, and I feel I could capture a photo of the milkyway if the clouds would go away, how good it would be I am not sure, have had to much cloud lately. Dark sites are always going to be better, that photo you liked too could be a remote town, which isnt going to bleed to much light, bit different from a Major capitol etc. Set my little celestron 4se up last night and was able to get a look at the moon.... until the clouds rolled in again

@Doyle, you are correct about the light pollution but my friends have captured milkyway from Bondi (Sydney). Just have to be clever about where you point the camera etc.

See this one in Bronte. This is an expensive suburb in Sydney = it's close to the city. :P
    Sculptured by Timothy M Roberts, on Flickr

Ah the joys of astrophotography. Clouds never make it easy My shot was not from a dense city area like Bondi or similar, but still had light pollution, etc. It was such a clear night that I could just barely see the milky way by eye though (which is what made me get my camera to shoot from my backyard...).

I put the camera really low to the ground (hoping to use the fence around my property to block any extra light out) and pointed directly at the sky (nothing exciting in my backyard for foreground...). Just positioning to block as much possible light sources out as you can (you could even use cardboard or something to help stop some light from the surrounding areas too).
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Frogbit is taking over, this photo was shot with the MML LED Tube at 2%, I ramp the light down to 2 and then 1% for the last few hours, this is the most interesting time to watch the tank. The photo looks much lighter than it really is.

IMG_2942.jpg by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Very nice setup. It’s good to see something unique in the hobby and those Loaches look really cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymikemike View Post
    Very nice setup. It’s good to see something unique in the hobby and those Loaches look really cool
    Thanks mate, keen to see your new setup!

Added 4 more loaches, where just labeled "Borneo Suckers" not to sure what they are, Pseudo gastro's I am pretty sure, will try some macro shots during the week.

Here is a FTS, the new loaches seem to have interested the existing loaches, much more activity today.

IMG_3000-Edit.jpg by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Tank is awesome, i like it. I really like that night time shot too!

Also a closeup on your plants too. Keen to see how they are fairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Also a closeup on your plants too. Keen to see how they are fairing.
    Will do, anubias and bit of buce is growing well (tho have tuffs of bba here and there) the Val or what ever it is melted right back when i removed the co2, it is growing but melts when it gets about 40 - 50 cm long, when i up'ed the light some of the Val (may not be val) has gone a bronze / red colour, that plant does not seem to melt but is not getting so long, with no Co2 its all slow going... apart from the BBA which grows fast :P

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast