Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: 5ft bookshelf aquarium - plan/build

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    To be fair, I am not even sure whether anyone knows where these guys live in the wild. They are meant to be extinct yes?
    No idea, being so easy to breed I am sure they are all captive breed x 100000 so who knows much of that "hillstream" instinct is kept alive, anyways they seem ok with the flow, hopefully get my loaches tomorrow!

Added 10 more WCMM, so total numbers are 20. Still no hillstream loaches, waiting for the weather to get cooler and the diatoms have disappeared from the tank so need more algae for them I think, I am starting to get some green algae on the stones closest to the window on the right side of the tank, hillstream loaches should like that but I am hoping to develop a bit more algae before I introduce them.

Here is a video from this evening

I think the fish have figure out they can catch food in the flow, now when ever I walk near the tank they all line up in the flow at about the mid point of the tank, waiting for food.

Quick iphone video.

Stunning! That is one huge female there

Btw, I was just watching these Pantharei systems:
    https://youtu.be/6QsfWfKQ6ow?t=8m38s

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Stunning! That is one huge female there

Btw, I was just watching these Pantharei systems:
    https://youtu.be/6QsfWfKQ6ow?t=8m38s
    Cheers yeah i love the Pantharei "flow" tanks, been seeing a lot of footage from interzoo in Europe this past week.

Two male minnows showing off / trying to out do each other... still no hillstream loaches, its been so warm here in Perth lately I want to wait until its cooler to add the loaches.

Looking good Looks to me like the fish have settled in nicely and are used to the flow now
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Looking good Looks to me like the fish have settled in nicely and are used to the flow now
    Cheers, yeah I think they are happy enough, think they have figured out the high flow area is across the top and mainly to the left of the tank, some are showing nicer colour, tho some still fairly pale, tho could be young females, I think the white sand and generally sparse planting doesn't promote great colours in the fish.
    The Val is starting to boom and stretch it legs, hoping it keeps growing, some strands have grown about 20cm since planting.

Maybe feed em live foods and foods with high anthrocyanin content. Could get some more colours out of them?

Maybe feed em live foods and foods with high anthrocyanin content. Could get some more colours out of them?
    Cheers will look into anthrocyanin, I have been feeding micro worms which they seem to go crazy for, tho I am not crazy about the smell...

I am not that fussed about the colour, some are dark some are not, fish im my jungle tank are much darker and get fed the same, I am putting it down to the substrate and general sparse planting of the tank.

Here is a video of last 15 minutes of my light cycle sped up to 1 minute, kind of looks like the light just switches off, there are some bigger jumps in the dimming, need to re-program the cycle I think and extend the final fade out of light. I have never been able to get the tc420 to fade out smoothly, seems to jump at about 5% light then again at about 2% light.

Camera ran out of storage space so you dont see the light fully switch off! may need to try this video again :P

Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 17-05-18 at 11:59 PM.

Added 4 "Borneo Scooters" today, picked them up from Veebas 4 for $30, unsure what exact species they are. Really cute fun to watch fish! And as expected they are loving the high flow area of the tank, managed to film one sitting above the water line... crazy fish! hopefully they dont climb out! I think I will add 2 or 4 Sewellia loaches tomorrow, I think they are a different species and Aquotix stocks the Sewellia's, tho a bit more expensive.

Here is the bad iphone video :P Taken about 30 minutes after adding the loaches

Oh man thats a great buy. I paid 15 per fish.

Oh man thats a great buy. I paid 15 per fish.
    yeah they are about $15ea from Aquotix, I still think I will buy two or so from Aquotix tomorrow, just to see if they are a difference species, they also have a 18% of sale for there 18th birthday :P

Fish look great Suit the tank. Hope they settle in well for you! I remember seeing albino versions popping up a while ago at a silly price. I wonder what ever happened to those and if they are "main stream" yet... Haha.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast