Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 5ft bookshelf aquarium - plan/build

Good point on the low flow, I didn't think of that.

I think most of the time fish from that area do well in a wide variety of temps, I would have thought similar to CPD or Danio erythromicron

One wonders whether high flow will reduce their lifespan? or keep them fitter and healthier for longer??

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    One wonders whether high flow will reduce their lifespan? or keep them fitter and healthier for longer??
    If its anything like riding a push bike into the wind... poor guys, life would be hell :P

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    If its anything like riding a push bike into the wind... poor guys, life would be hell :P
    LMAO!

My comment was half serious tho. :P

Nice one! Your idea reminds me of the biotopes this German shop creates:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4ZK1_kLcA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-VVW0T_cyY

Can't wait to see how yours go

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Nice one! Your idea reminds me of the biotopes this German shop creates:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4ZK1_kLcA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-VVW0T_cyY

Can't wait to see how yours go
    Yah I have been taking inspiration from that shop! so good, wish there videos where in english!

The 200w replacement powersupply from MML arrived today and it works prefectly with the tc420, pure silence!

Now I need to get my act together and move the 60p tank outside to my rack and get on with setting up this tank.

Here is a photo with the light raised to about the height I think It will sit when I get the tank in place.

Nice one on the silence! So what was the result from the old PSU? Different PSU style now or?
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Nice one on the silence! So what was the result from the old PSU? Different PSU style now or?
    Not to sure, they are the same brand etc just this newer one is 200w, the 100w PS only buzzed when connected to the TC420, no buzz with a simple inline dimmer or no dimmer, guess I will keep it as a backup, tired to run my Chihiros lights via the 100w PS but they flashed, I guess because the Chihiros run of a 12v power supply and the MML power supply is 24v

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Chihiros run of a 12v power supply and the MML power supply is 24v
    - This may result in a busted light. Careful.

Glad you got the buzzing sorted. Wonder if the TC420 + lights you had was needed more than 100w power? Ah well.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    - This may result in a busted light. Careful.

Glad you got the buzzing sorted. Wonder if the TC420 + lights you had was needed more than 100w power? Ah well.
    Yes I read the flashing was basically a warning, quickly disconnected the Chihiros lights, they seem fine.

Not to sure what the issue was, Fred from MML AU did comment a few pages back that they discovered a issue only with the 100w PS in combination with the TC420, he kindly sent the 200w replacement free of charge!

While on the topic on lighting, I want to run my 60cm and 45cm Chihiros light from one power supply (trying to cut down on wiring / power for my outdoor rack, hence trying the 100w PS) could I cause any damage running both Chihiros light from one of the supplied Chihiros power supplies, both lights will be dimmed to the lowest setting so not drawing much power...
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 15-03-18 at 06:13 PM.

No you wont damage the power supplies as long as voltage is matched. (Hmm I am moderately sure.....) Better check with an electrician also.
    Last edited by Rebel; 15-03-18 at 06:24 PM.

If you plug in the 24V to the chihiros i expect smoke.....

No you wont damage the power supplies as long as voltage is matched. (Hmm I am moderately sure.....) Better check with an electrician also.
    I did some tests and all seemed good, splitting the power supply from the 60cm light to power both the 45cm and 60cm at a low level, but long term I am not sure, I would have thought if the LED lights are trying to draw more power than what the power supply can provide the LED lights would just not be as bright? This is fine as I really just want the LEDs for night time viewing, trying to use the sunlight to power the growth. I will ask a electrician friend what he thinks

If you plug in the 24V to the chihiros i expect smoke.....
    Perhaps I am wrong about the 12v / 24v thing, either way the chihiros LEDS flashed (slower than a flicker) when plugged into the MML 100w PS. I googled and read that this flash is basically a warning that something isnt correct. Also possible that the PS is constant currant and the lights are configured for constant voltage and the PS is constant current or vice versa, electronics are something I know nothing about!

Just using the original chihiros power brick with a splitter with dimming of both lights will be fine though.

As for powering your LEDs with a 24V (instead of the original 12V supply), I think that's a bad idea for the longevity of those LEDS. It 'could' be ok depending on the electronics but I can bet the Chihiros don't have any fancy electronics to convert any old voltage to the preferred 12V.
    https://electronics.stackexchange.co...aximum-voltage

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast