Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 5ft bookshelf aquarium - plan/build

Did you try to wine it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Did you try to wine it?
    Rebel you champion, after much clicking and installing all sorts of programs of which I have no idea what they do... I have PLED running on my mac! Yet to plug the TC420 in and create the program etc but I assume it will all work!

EDIT -

So I connected up one of my TC420's and set about creating modes, all works fine but you cant save the package locally, Wine throws a error, something about not being able to find a file somewhere, good thing is you can push the package to the TC420 without saving it, seems to work fine, bummer you can save them for future edits and need to start from scratch if you want to tweak your modes... still much better than having to source a PC to program the TC420!!!
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 09-02-18 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Rebel you champion, after much clicking and installing all sorts of programs of which I have no idea what they do... I have PLED running on my mac! Yet to plug the TC420 in and create the program etc but I assume it will all work!
    Nice work! Please send me the details of what and how and I'll post them on our website because many others have asked me about this and as I'm not a Mac user I had no idea. If you can figure out how to save locally even better.

@doyle - Check the save path of the output file, it might have to save to the "wine" folder or not have permission to save to the folder you want it too. Try running sudo to force permissions.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

@Doyle, no probs. I have never used Wine myself but have heard of it.

@Makemyled, I am definitely not an authority to write any guides on the subject. I suspect Indir is the man for the job. Indir is needing some new lights also....

Quote Originally Posted by makemyled View Post
    Nice work! Please send me the details of what and how and I'll post them on our website because many others have asked me about this and as I'm not a Mac user I had no idea. If you can figure out how to save locally even better.
    Hi Fred, will try install Wine again my my Mac desktop (have installed onto my laptop) and better document the process so we can share with other mac users! This time around was not so smooth and I cant recall exactly the process, I had to install 3 apps and a bit of trial and error to get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    @doyle - Check the save path of the output file, it might have to save to the "wine" folder or not have permission to save to the folder you want it too. Try running sudo to force permissions.
    Will check that out cheers, pretty sure it was saving to the virtual C:/systems/programs/pled (or something similar) will have another pay around with it tonight.

@Doyle, no probs. I have never used Wine myself but have heard of it.

@Makemyled, I am definitely not an authority to write any guides on the subject. I suspect Indir is the man for the job. Indir is needing some new lights also....
    Thanks again Rebel for the lead on Wine, I had looked into running windows apps on osx before but never came across wine, very handy.

So I picked the tank up today, it was in a big crate and I cant get it out of my car as my girlfriend cant lift one end, hopefully get someone to come around tomorrow to help lift it out. The tank will stay in the crate for awhile as I need to clear space for the new setup. Hopefully get the tank in place next weekend.

I am picking up the riverstones pictured below next weekend but what do you guys think about the lava rock smooth stones?

Lava rock -

The tank is out of the car! will sit in the crate for awhile...

Exciting times!

Love the look of that lava rock.

those rocks will look good together, even if they all differ in colour. have seen a few scapes over the years with that style.

i'd open up the box and make sure nothing is broken
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    Exciting times!

Love the look of that lava rock.
    Cheers, I like it to but wonder if it is to uniform in colour etc... they have this stuff at smiling rock near AGP

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    those rocks will look good together, even if they all differ in colour. have seen a few scapes over the years with that style.

i'd open up the box and make sure nothing is broken
    Yah i think the river rocks will look more natural than the lava rock. I opened the lid but the tank is wrapped with cardboard and cling wrap cant tell the condition and cant lift it out by myself... fingers crossed... will try inspect it more tomorrow after work.

EDIT got me paranoid so I had a another look and removed some cardboard its all good, 10mm glass (looks thicker) is great! Even has a matt included which is good to find as i was planing on visiting clark rubber.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 11-02-18 at 07:38 PM.

With regard to the various colours, I have seen natural rivers with rocks with really different colours/shapes and textures!! I found that very bizzarre as my preconception (therefore bias) was that there would be one type of rock within a region of a river. What have been your exeprience?

With regard to the various colours, I have seen natural rivers with rocks with really different colours/shapes and textures!! I found that very bizzarre as my preconception (therefore bias) was that there would be one type of rock within a region of a river. What have been your exeprience?
    Yeah same, lots of various colours, atleast here in WA, cant stay ive ever seen a river with one / very uniform colour rock, not even sure if that round lava rock is natural... it was a bit to expensive anyways, those 3 big rocks (which may be to big) would have cost over $50 the whole box pictured of river rocks are only $50.

Thinking about sand now, will probably order a 8kg bag of la plata sand and la plata big, just need to track some down, doesn't seem to be any locally
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 11-02-18 at 08:19 PM.

Thinking about fish, creating a short list, feel free to add suggestions, the main goal is to stock some hillstream loaches, one of my LFS has some Sewellia lineolata loaches in at the in at the moment but these guys need very stable and established conditions so they are probably a good few months away from being introduced into my tank, I may see if they will hold 5 or so for me but I dont know how they will feel about keeping them for 3 months or more, dont think they would do that, fingers crossed I can find some Sewellia lineolata when the tank is ready for them, they are really attractive little loaches!

Here is the short list of other small fish that could do well in a high flow tank, note I want to keep max size to around 2 inchs, the smaller the better as this is still really a nano tank. Not 100% sure the images are the correct variants of the species, some have several different looking images under the same name.

Zebra Danio

Dwarf Danio / Dwarf Spotted Danio

Rose Danio

Glowlight Danio

Panther Danio

White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Xiphophorus Swordtail

Green swordtail

Long term stocking goals -
    Stiphodon gobies

Hillstream loaches - Sewellia lineolata

I haven't seen half of those danios in Aus There is plenty of very pretty danios but i've never seen anything other than the super common ones around unfortunately. I've also not heard of any Stiphoden sp. being available in the hobby and apparently are quite hard to catch too but if you get some, bring some for me too!

Another danio that is nice and often available (atleast lately) is the Danio Kyathit, red fin danio. Similar ot the zebra but with very pretty red fins

I like the loaches myself too, never kept them though. Keen to see how they go I still vote for whiptails....
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast