Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 5ft bookshelf aquarium - plan/build

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Might be cheaper to just get a standard filter and a powerful wave maker?
    Yes probably the better option, but I just watched a dozen videos on the fx6 haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    that's what i did on my 120x45x45

my g6 is just sitting around doing nothing. you could try it out if you like.
    Thanks Brad, could be a good option, what wavemaker did you end up going with?

Jebao rw-4

the FX4 has the exact same WC valve the FX6 has.. this was one of the reasons i bought it like i said dont let it fool you it is a beast and i use it in my 450L, shop around as i said i got mine for $470 delivered

Guys, the WC change valve can be DIYed for almost nothing, say about $15. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a commercial version.

Not taking away from the greatness of the FX series tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    the FX4 has the exact same WC valve the FX6 has.. this was one of the reasons i bought it like i said dont let it fool you it is a beast and i use it in my 450L, shop around as i said i got mine for $470 delivered
    Guys, the WC change valve can be DIYed for almost nothing, say about $15. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a commercial version.

Not taking away from the greatness of the FX series tho.
    Have been wasting time watching many videos on the FX series, I am now leaning towards the FX4, I would guess once i get hardscape etc in I will have more like 150 - 180ltrs of water, I really like the idea of creating a high flow "river scape" have a bit of a picture in my head for the scape, a big long log and some smooth boulders / stones, long wavy plants flowing in the stream... The main downside I see to the FX series is the pipes they ugly and doesn't seem so easy to connect stuff inline, but I guess they can be swapped out or perhaps hidden well in the scape.

Any ideas on the fish stocking that will mesh with the 'high flow' theme? A lot of the loach species come from fast waters, they seem to be what the video tank you linked earlier housed. Or did you have other ideas?

Voting for Borneo suckers, twig cat fish etc...

Exciting times for the forum. I think this may be the first high flow river manifold type of tank here!!

Quote Originally Posted by wread17 View Post
    Any ideas on the fish stocking that will mesh with the 'high flow' theme? A lot of the loach species come from fast waters, they seem to be what the video tank you linked earlier housed. Or did you have other ideas?
    Not to sure really, I have not looked into fish yet, but yes flow loving species, ive got a lot to learn which is what I like about this hobby.

Exciting times for the forum. I think this may be the first high flow river manifold type of tank here!!
    Cheers, I want to do something different, perfect looking aquascapes are nice but I am kind of over that aspect of the hobby... at least for now :P Need to delve into something a little different, I like doing research and learning about new things and I feel a scape along those lines will provide a lot to learn

I'm not sure how accessible they are but Stiphodon species are magnificent.

Evolving your hobby and interests will keep you involved for longer.

You should start a fish/plant club in Perth while at it.

We have one in Canberra that's been running for years!

I think Mundi has an FX4. Perhaps you could get some feedback from him.

Cheers, I will reach out to him for some feedback, Tim if you read think post up your thought on the FX4 filter, how did you go with adding stuff inline, did you keep the stock pipes and inlet / outlet etc etc!

I've been running a FX5 on a 220L tank, the only thing I can complain about is the awkward tube sizing and the ugly inlet/outlets. Hard to fit any inline things, though there is a DIY to reduce the hose size by splitting it allowing for inline heaters, lily pipes, and diffusers - this also slows the flow rate which may be something you want?

Sorry don't use AN FX4. Astro 2212 is a good cheap filter from Aquotix.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast