Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 435

Thread: 5ft bookshelf aquarium - plan/build

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Happy to 3D print you something to mount them with, keeping it slimline/sleek etc. But you have to make it another blackwater tank hahaha.

    Keen to see the final setup for this
    Thanks for the offer, could be an option but I am leaning towards the panel option.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    looking forward to your setup and in particular plant selection.. will be going low tech for my next tank

    will the IKEA bookshelf be strong enough to hold a 5ft? i reckon you will have at least 500kg of weight to hold up.

    In regards to filter placement, i noticed you are open to two cannister filters? if so, from my research i found best setup would be with one filter at each end but with the inlet and outlet hoses for each filter at opposite ends. The theory is that it will create the best water flow around the tank.

    if you go for two filters will you be placing inlet/outlets at the back of the tank or the sides?
    A custom stand would be nice... and would add piece of mind. I think the two smaller ikea bookshelf's with extra top sheet will be ok, I currently use one long cube bookshelf and its fine for the 2 smaller tanks (not as much weight i know). I have seen a few photos floating around of ppl using two smaller 4 cube shelfs side by side with big tanks just like my mockup... will try find some examples...

    This guy uses those cubes a lot, again smaller tanks - https://www.facebook.com/S.H.Aquasca...type=3&theater

    Just wow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfJ8tdC9pmw

    Another example - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/02/ff/88/0...4eea813742.jpg

    Will probably just run one filter on the right hand side as I have a bit of space I could add storage next to the cube stand to hold the filter and co2 gear, will chuck a wavermaker or something on the left side.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 31-01-18 at 01:53 PM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    looking forward to your setup and in particular plant selection.. will be going low tech for my next tank

    will the IKEA bookshelf be strong enough to hold a 5ft? i reckon you will have at least 500kg of weight to hold up.

    In regards to filter placement, i noticed you are open to two cannister filters? if so, from my research i found best setup would be with one filter at each end but with the inlet and outlet hoses for each filter at opposite ends. The theory is that it will create the best water flow around the tank.

    if you go for two filters will you be placing inlet/outlets at the back of the tank or the sides?
    Would a having it in a circle be good? like left side of tank outlet facing front of tank and right side outlet facing left side of tank, with an inlet in each corner?

    My new tank design I was thinking of having both inlets dead center and outlets in the same method left facing forward right facing left.

    I have two cannisters by the way.

    I dont believe it would be safe to use the kalax bookshelves. Ive owned one, didnt put weight on it but I just wouldnt trust the quality let alone strength.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    Would a having it in a circle be good? like left side of tank outlet facing front of tank and right side outlet facing left side of tank, with an inlet in each corner?

    My new tank design I was thinking of having both inlets dead center and outlets in the same method left facing forward right facing left.

    I have two cannisters by the way.

    I dont believe it would be safe to use the kalax bookshelves. Ive owned one, didnt put weight on it but I just wouldnt trust the quality let alone strength.
    Not sure about running two canisters, never used two, I have aways read you want circular flow so by having both the outlet and inline at one end you create the circular flow.

    RE the Kallax bookshelf's, I have faith! currently my 45p and 60p are on one 4x2 cube shelf and the sides are not even supporting the top and its fine... but yes a better stand would be nice.



    With the 2x2 cubes (as per my mockup) the side panels actually support the top panel much better... still I do understand peoples concern :P

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Thats a lot less weight though haha, 5ft would be MUCH heavier.You could always reinforce the two shelves though. I'd put 4 square timber frames in it for additional support left, middle left, middle right, right.
    Just cut out parts of the shelves to let the frames be flush or just in from the edge?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    Thats a lot less weight though haha, 5ft would be MUCH heavier.You could always reinforce the two shelves though. I'd put 4 square timber frames in it for additional support left, middle left, middle right, right.
    Just cut out parts of the shelves to let the frames be flush or just in from the edge?
    Yeah, according to a tank weight calculator the full tank will weigh 250kgs, I think I will be fine, while it is 5ft long its shallow and narrow, not your regular 5ft size, i will brace the bookshelf for some extra peace of mind.

    If I come across a better (but still cheap) option for the stand I will look into it!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Yeah, according to a tank weight calculator the full tank will weigh 250kgs, I think I will be fine, while it is 5ft long its shallow and narrow, not your regular 5ft size, i will brace the bookshelf for some extra peace of mind.

    If I come across a better (but still cheap) option for the stand I will look into it!
    250kg is a lot less, but still heavy. about the same weight as my 4fter.
    Spose my stand on the 4fter is only a mdf stand.

    Id still be reinforcing it well for peace of mind while still keeping it aesthetically pleasing

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Australia, Adelaide
    Posts
    217

    Default

    @ luked....

    Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Not sure about running two canisters, never used two, I have aways read you want circular flow so by having both the outlet and inline at one end you create the circular flow.
    this is the best way to set up a single filter, as long as it is powerful enough to move the amount of water required. Hanging one filter inlet/outlet on the side of the tank will create the best circular flow possible.

    from my research, If you are setting up two cannister filters and placing them at the back of the tank (hanging of the side isnt possible) it is best to setup as i explained before with a canister on each end with the inlet/outlet hoses from one filter on each end of the tank.

    I have a FX4 outlet in the left corner of the tank with its nozzle pointing towards the front glass at a 45 degree angle (one nozzle facing up and the other pointing down) and its inlet in the right corner. An Eheim 2228 outlet on the right side, with a shortened spray bar pushing the water across the back of the tank towards its inlet on the left side. Once set up its good to put a couple of flakes or light plant matter in the tank and watch how it flows around the tank, from here small adjustments of the outlets will fine tune your flow.
    Last edited by MrKrabs; 01-02-18 at 06:01 AM. Reason: better readability

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,735

    Default

    Those Kallax numbers don't look strong enough for a big tank I reckon. I'd be concerned about the middle especially and also the corners where the joins don't look to be the strongest possible. ie the whole thing looks like it will get into trouble.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Those Kallax numbers don't look strong enough for a big tank I reckon. I'd be concerned about the middle especially and also the corners where the joins don't look to be the strongest possible. ie the whole thing looks like it will get into trouble.
    I wont be using the same stand I currently have, will be 2x smaller units so the top shelf runs over the side panels see example below, the middle will actually be the strongest point. I am pretty confident it it will be fine, time will tell I guess



    Have been thinking about a concept for this tank and I am thinking a high flow "stream" I have seen new crazy fast stream tank Oliver Knott has been promoting online / youtube lately
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-VVW0T_cyY

    Obviously I wont be able to set up a tank like this (with the super powerful pumps etc) but I really like this style and I think this will serve as inspiration for the tank, maybe ill get a crazy big canister like the Fluval FX6, surely that is going to create a fair bit of flow :P

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,735

    Default

    That's a much better design I agree. That could do the job!! You might want to consider reinforcing for lateral movements also. That stand is a good height too!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    That's a much better design I agree. That could do the job!! You might want to consider reinforcing for lateral movements also. That stand is a good height too!
    Yes I think I will add a board to the back to help support lateral movement and help tie the two seperate stands together

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Australia, Adelaide
    Posts
    217

    Default

    The FX6 is a beast and might be too much flow, for a smaller 5ft.. i think u will be better off with a fx4

    from my calcs your tank will be around 220L.. if that is right and manufacturers measurements are to be relied upon a FX4 will give you a flow turnover of 12 times per hour and a fX6 a flow turnover of 16

    a fx4 would be heaps.. if you look around you can get them cheapish, i got mine deliered for $470

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    The FX6 is a beast and might be too much flow, for a smaller 5ft.. i think u will be better off with a fx4

    from my calcs your tank will be around 220L.. if that is right and manufacturers measurements are to be relied upon a FX4 will give you a flow turnover of 12 times per hour and a fX6 a flow turnover of 16

    a fx4 would be heaps.. if you look around you can get them cheapish, i got mine deliered for $470
    Cheers, yes a smaller filter would probably suffice, to be honest I dont think I can spend $699.00 on a filter (techden price of the fx6), I need to do some research and keep my eye out for any sales, basically something that can create huge flow would be nice to try create a "river" scape, I really like the built in WC valve the fx6 has.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    13,735

    Default

    Might be cheaper to just get a standard filter and a powerful wave maker?

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Might be cheaper to just get a standard filter and a powerful wave maker?
    that's what i did on my 120x45x45

    my g6 is just sitting around doing nothing. you could try it out if you like.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •