Thread: CaribSea Florida Crushed Coral

Default CaribSea Florida Crushed Coral

Hi gang.

First post so let me apologize if this has been answered (though I did do an extensive search) before.

I'm in Melbourne, have set up a new tank with ADA Amazonia soil and like many posters on here have run into the same problem of no KH and low pH. So I decided to use a natural calcium base buffering agent in my Eheim canister filters to add some buffer.

My question is, does anyone know where in Melbourne I can buy CaribSea Florida Crushed Coral, as this seems to be highly recommended, in 500 Gram or 1 KG bags. Buying 4.5 or 6 KG bags is a waste.

Hiya welcome!

Have you checked with the planted guys such as Subscape etc?

Most crushed coral is fine including aragonite sand. Some people have used shell grit (check Coles) for birds with no issues.

Hey Rebel.

Thanks for the reply. No, haven't tried Subscape yet, but now I have a lead.

I was also thinking shell grit but researching the topic on the Internet, people seem to prefer coral.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hiya welcome!

Have you checked with the planted guys such as Subscape etc?.....
    Just called them and sure enough, they have it and sell it by the Kilo. Thanks again Rebel.

It's all the same compound CaCO3. Larger pieces will dissolve slower of course. You can put the shell grit in a tight ball enclosed in pantyhose or similar to achieve a similar effect. It's easier to remove if there is overshoot of kH etc also.

An actual piece of coral is also quite ok for this purpose.

I have a 4X2X2 tank with tap water pH 7.4, kH 0, gH ~1.

Tank water has a pH 5.7, kH and gH of 0. Substrate is ADA Amazonia and I have plenty of driftwood in the tank as I plan on mainly keeping Discus, Rams and Cardinals.

With that in mind, would anyone hazard a guess as to how much shell grit/crushed coral I'll need in my Eheim filters (I have two running)?

Just replied to your question on Ebay! You have already found, but yea most lfs will have a generic brand of coral they can break up into per kg amounts

Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    I have a 4X2X2 tank with tap water pH 7.4, kH 0, gH ~1.

Tank water has a pH 5.7, kH and gH of 0. Substrate is ADA Amazonia and I have plenty of driftwood in the tank as I plan on mainly keeping Discus, Rams and Cardinals.

With that in mind, would anyone hazard a guess as to how much shell grit/crushed coral I'll need in my Eheim filters (I have two running)?
    Grubs had a suggestion about this sometime ago.

I reckon you need two handfuls (put in a sock so you can remove if needed).