Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do people want?

People also always want reasonably priced Melanotaenia boesemani

Thanks, and cheers for the info , but as I stated before, it is more ideal to breed a fish because it interests you, than for profit, the same reason I"m not breeding discus or expensive plecos, and as I said, I am most knowledgeable and interested in local natives.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudechisbutleri View Post
    I started a similar thread on Perth Cichlids Society Forums, but I want to see what responses I'd get here on AL.

So basically, to rephrase what I said there, I'm looking into breeding fish for profit (it's certainly more interesting than a job at Macca's or Woolies) and I'm trying to find what species to breed. I'm looking for something smallish (which is why I'm not gonna breed stingrays, saratogas or Murray cod, I don't huge tanks), easy to somewhat-easy to breed, and sellable for a decent price. Rarity may also be a selling factor.

Garden variety livebearers such as guppies and mollies are boring, and not exactly uncommon, also already very cheap at various LFS and pet stores, which is why I wouldn't be breeding them.
    Sorry, you should probably get this thread closed. Your first post certainly sounds nothing like your last.

Sorry I think I mis-communicated, I'll rephrase.

It isn't ideal if I breed a fish solely for profit, and are completely uninterested in said fish. Of course, it would be most ideal if I breed something both for enjoyability and for profitability.

Does seem like the thread did a bit of a 180.

But if I may recommend something, my best bets for your fish would be M. boesemani if you can get nicely coloured parent stock. As someone who has been there doing this with this species, private buyers are more than happy to pay a premium for beautifully-coloured fish... pet shops not so much! But be wary, they're very slow growers! Another option and a fish I've bred in very large numbers like the boes would be M. praecox. Very fast growers, and their colour doesn't seem to fluctuate as much as other species with stress levels so LFSs can generally move them on quickly if you're trying to sell bulk.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

I guess my intentions may have changed since I started it, lol. Initially, I was much more open to suggestions, but hey I'm an odd fella

But with the repeated suggestion of praecox, I suppose it's worth looking into and I'll do my research into praecox, its small size is certainly what I like about it, boesemani seems to be a rather demanding species, space-wise, they're not exactly a nano fish lol

Just got a reply, my small scale operation will not require an aquaculture license at this point in time, however I will need to apply for one if and when my business becomes sizeable, so no license needed for my Praecox project!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123