Thread: 6ft rescape

Default 6ft rescape

Hi guys, been a long time coming but i finally got around to giving my 6ft tank a much needed rescape. Apologies in advance for some poor quality images of the early stages.

Tank - 180x45x45
    Substrate - Some sort of coarse sand from bunnings
    Filter - aqua one aquis 1250 and nautilus 1400
    Co2 - still to come in near future
    Light - 180cm MML full spectrum tube and 2 x 3ft T8 tubes
    plants - crypt wendtii, crypt balansae, crypt blassii, crypt nevelli, fissiden, subwassertang, peacock moss, NL java fern, crested java fern, bolbitis
    fish - at this stage there are only a few panda cories, cardinal tetras, a bristlenose and cherry shrimp in the tank

This was the tank before:
    DSC_9969 by f f, on Flickr

During:
    DSC_0016 by f f, on Flickr

And this is the tank now:
    IMG_0931 by f f, on Flickr

I largely underestimated the amount of plants required for the back wall which is why it is only about a quarter done. I plan to finish the wall off as the ferns grow and produce offshoots, which will most likely take at least a year. I also plan to add anubia nana to certain sections of the wood and attempt a carpet of dwarf hair grass once i get my hands on the co2 and some ferts.

As for stocking I was originally thinking some coral red pencil fish to contrast with all the green in the tank....until i saw the price tag! As a cheaper option I am now considering some cherry barbs and then later maybe some dwarf cories. Nothing is set in stone so i would love to hear any recommendations.

Thanks for looking

Looking good, I like the idea of attaching Java fern to the egg crate and creating a wall on the back, nice idea! Keep us updated

Hey mate, someone is selling a 6ft MML panel in the for sale section! would be great for your tank.

Dude that's an impressive piece of driftwood!

Where did you buy it?

@doylecolmdoyle - cheers mate, yeah i found that the gaps in the egg crate were the perfect size to hold the ferns in place.

@luked - cheers for the heads up, will look into it. My only concern is i'm not sure what i would hang it from, as i imagine a panel that size would have a bit of weight to it?

@Monty1098 - thanks man i'm pretty stoked with it! Actually found it a while back next to a creek.

Hang it from the roof mate
    throw up a length of timber in the roof and screw hanging kit into it haha.

Could find some nice stainless or white plastic pieces to make the tiny holes in the roof look good.

Its my one day plan when I have my own house lol

Quote Originally Posted by Granit Bay View Post

@Monty1098 - thanks man i'm pretty stoked with it! Actually found it a while back next to a creek.
    Great find man.

I can only imagine how much that piece would have cost if a fish store sold it. Around $150 probably and you managed to find it for free.

I might have to start heading to creeks to see what i can find

awesome looking bit of wood there, looking forward to seeing it planted. im a big fan of congo tetras, a school in that tank would look awesome

@luked - don't think that is an option for me hahah. Think i might be able to make it work with the bunnings connect-it products though.

@Monty - always worth a shot i reckon, especially after a flood once the water has receded.

@MrKrabs- You are right some congos would look pretty sweet, a bit too big for what I am after though. The aim is for some schools of small fish to make the tank look bigger than it already is.

50 rummynose would look amazing in there!!!

Also, why couldn't you hang from the roof? Rental? lol

nah the roof is too high where the tank is and also on an angle. It would be possible, but i am sure there are easier options.